Xerox Phaser 7800 different page margins on each copy of the same document

Discussion in 'Xerox Color Laser Printers & Color Copiers' started by urbanprint, Jan 16, 2014.

1. urbanprint

urbanprint New Member

Hi,
    we bought a phaser 7800 printer about one month ago.
    We are a digital print center and one of our main jobs is printing business cards.
    To print the business cards I impose the business card on a professional s/w and export to PDF.
    So I have a 20up SRA3 image ready to print at a velvet paper at 350 gr. The problem is that when I print 20 copies of this image I constantly have different distances from the end of the paper to the crop marks. For example the first copy has a distance of 1,5 cm from the end of the paper to the crop marks, the third copy has a distance of 1,3cm, the 5th copy 1,1cm and so on.
    From that you can understand that it is impossible to cut the print outs all together into business cards and obviously I can't deliver to my customers a correct product.
    I need your help on this, since I have already done everything that the troubleshooter describes but without success.
    Thank you in advance and I will be expecting for your help and support

2. OkiTech

OkiTech Senior Member

Hi, If your printer is 1 month old, it should carry a factory warranty... Did you call them? What did they say? Generally, I think you will battle this issue with very limited success and will be lucky if you will get a chance to return it. You push those 350 gsm cards and it is an absolute limit for it and in disregard of whatever ad brochure or sales person said, it will never handle it accurately. For exaple, konica minolta bizhub press c6000/7000 is rated to 300 gsm only, cost $50k -60k do you think Xerox installed stronger/more durable/more accurate registration unit in $6000 printer? I would doubt that! They were able to make it pass that cardstock and fuse the toner under some ideal conditions that I only wish you luck recreating. If you call them, they will respond that +/- 1mm bounce is normal and within the specs, more bounce with heavy stocks is acceptable, i.e. not acceptable by you, but by them which means that there is nothing they can or going to do abut that. You can try to experiment - do you know what is "grain of paper"? Google it, read about it. Try different grain, I think it should be a short grain for cardstock. The nature of the printer you had chosen is that in order to pass/image a page it has to go on 2 of 90 degree turns, card being soooo heavy would resist that a lot. Even if your printer register it accurately it could slip a tiny bit on a first turn on it's way up, that is where your bounce could, theoretically, come from and except trying a different grain of paper, there is little to nothing you can do about that as there is nothing could be / should be replaced/repaired in printer this new. If you call Xerox with complain, one of the first things they will ask if you're using a Xerox branded or approved or certified stock so you should try that just for experiment sake - order a 350 gsm card from Xerox website and try, also what happens if you run #80 cover or paper weight, does it also bounce so bad? As an alternative, sadly you posted the questions after buying the printer, I could suggest that you probably be better off with a printer that has a straight paper path like Xante or Intec, They say that it is rated for a whooping 400 gsm which is probably same BS as Xerox say about 7800 being capable of 350 gsm (you just proved to yourself that is not) but at least you would not run those to the edge of what printer is capable of...
    To sum it up, try Xerox Branded card, try different grain of cardstock if no success, storm Xerox make them take it back if you have a friend or relative who is attorney - that will help, find articles on line posted by another unhappy owners pointing to a same or similar problems, convince them that this printer is lemon, the whole concept is lemon that you're loosing tons of work because printer was mis-advertised, to make the case stronger, find someone with different printer that is actually prints fine so can say "hey, their Xante (for example) says it is 350 gsm capable and it runs my paper just fine"
    Good luck. If/before you get anything else please have a 100-200 sheets printed on a stock you actually planning on using and check quality and registration, the whole nine yards....