Wohlenberg MCS-3TV keyboard interface

Discussion in 'Cutters and Trimmers' started by Tipograf01, Dec 18, 2021.

1. Tipograf01

Tipograf01 Member

Good day!
    After buying the Wohlenberg MCS-3TV, it was discovered that the keyboard interface was missing (indicated in the attached photo). Maybe someone knows the part number of this interface. Or does anyone have this interface for sale. I will be grateful for the information!
    Have a nice day, Alexander!

Attached Files:

2. Alonex

Alonex Senior Member

Dear Alexander,

It looks as a very rare part, I have never seen it in the internet garbage bin, and I do not hope someone would open his machine especially, in order to recover the part number for you. Have you contacted Baumann Wohlenberg for this part or its number? What was their answer?

According to an electric diagram of the machines I have, it is seen, the QB keyboard (Anzeige Tastatur) is connected to the QA Prozessor board via a P34 (26-pole) flat cable, and not by the two flat cables connected to the sub-module you are looking for. It may be required, the two cables to be traced/checked again in order to understand better their functions.

Sorry for being unable to assist you properly.

Regards.
    Oleg T.
    Alonex ICEE Labs

3. Tipograf01

Tipograf01 Member

Dear Oleg,

I turned to Baumann Wohlenberg for an electrical circuit to figure out the connection. But I was not provided with a diagram of the processor part. I didn't address them about the detail itself.

The photo shows that the main keyboard is connected with a really 26-pin flat cable, the letter keyboard (Alpha Tastatur Woha 5040466) is connected with a 14-pin flat cable. And there is no interface to which it connects. Maybe you have the name of this interface on the diagrams?

If you have a circuit of the processor part, please tell me what the remote relays K9 and K10 control, they were removed for unexplained reasons.

If you have a circuit of the processor part, can I purchase it from you?

Attached Files:

4. Alonex

Alonex Senior Member

Dear Alexander,

You should ask Wohlenberg for the part number of the missing sub-module and/or for the module itself (which should be connected to ST7). I expect it is contained of simply two MC6821P peripheral port IC's which are connected via ST7 connector to the processor bus (D[0..7] plus control signals), in similar way as the U34 (MC6821P - the main keyboard ports) is connected . Have you found the big flat cable in the machine, which is also connected to the missing sub-module?

Unfortunately, I do not have any schematics for these PC boards (we could make a reverse engineering for a Wohlenberg museum on order), but only an electrical diagram of the machines, with only 26-pin keyboard interface. It looks as the diagram does not suit for your machine of a later and/or more functional KB revision. No CPU onboard Kx relays are shown on the diagram. You should solder back the missing K9 and K10 relays, if they are not optional and are actually required/used in your machine.

Regards,
    Oleg T.
    Alonex ICEE Labs

5. Tipograf01

Tipograf01 Member

Dear Oleg!

Thank you for your detailed answer! I will contact Wohlenberg for the schematics of the processor part, as well as for the presence of the keyboard submodule, or its circuit.

I managed to find out (thanks to the schemes that I have) that the two missing relays are backup relays.

There was no wide loop from the additional keyboard in the machine, it is not clear why it was removed.

Best Regards,
    Alexander.

6. Alonex

Alonex Senior Member

Dear Alexander,

I am sure, you will RU-solve the missing part finally, even if Wohlenberg will not de-do it, and even if re-manufacturing of the sub-module will be required. You will need only one MC6821P, in case if only the 14-pin KB flat cable is actually used on the sub-module, and a little specific connector for the ST7.

By the way, since you have such machine under deep maintenance procedures, and since we do not have any local customer with such machine, please consider a possibility to perform a test with the master CPU card WOHA 5025330 for us, as it was asked in our post linked below:
    https://www.colorprintingforum.com/...pu-card-off-system-behavior.21375/#post-76346

Thank you,
    Oleg T.
    Alonex ICEE Labs

7. Tipograf01

Tipograf01 Member

The cutting machine was in working condition after purchase, but there was very severe damage in the electronic part of the machine. We decided to completely restore the electronic part, at the same time to carry out an audit and overhaul of the mechanical part. We plan to complete all the work within 30-40 days. If you are satisfied with this deadline, then after starting the machine, I will do a test for you as you ask.

Such machines really turned out to be very few, especially in such a modification. This complicates the repair a bit.

And one more question, if it's not difficult, where can I buy the keys themselves from the main keyboard, or only from Wohlenberg?

Good day,
    Alexander.

8. Alonex

Alonex Senior Member

Dear Alexander,

The complete keyboard was sold on ebay once, and now it is on this virtual photo-herbarium, I think unavailable actually:
    https://shopozz.ru/items/162891301609-man-roland-mcs3tv-pushbutton-board-wohlenberg-5040162

You know, a part number of the keys should be recovered first in attempt to procure it from a third party, or a suitable push-button replacement should be found with zero/minimum mechanical modifications to the relative components of the KB. It is the big happiness, that it is not a modern membrane KB which killed a lot of actually reliable control equipment, and while touch matrices are installed basically on the extremely unreliable child's toys.

Please let me know, as soon as you will be able to perform the master CPU off system test, we waited longer.

Thank you,
    Oleg T.
    Alonex ICEE Labs

9. Tipograf01

Tipograf01 Member

Dear Oleg!

As soon as we start the cutting machine, we will definitely do the test as promised. It's not difficult for us.

I absolutely agree that these machines were reliable and durable, only when they fell into the hands of amateurs they turned into scrap metal. The only difficulty is the spare parts for these machines, they are quite difficult to get!

Good day!
    Alexander