What Kind of Printer Prints on Aluminum Foil? (please help, newb)

Discussion in 'Print Community General Printing Discussion' started by gmarch23, Jun 22, 2012.

1. gmarch23

gmarch23 Member

I have a bunch of plain yogurt lids I would like to print my logo on. The yogurt lids have that "aluminum foil texture" like this
    http://imgur.com/lbhYl

but are plain white. What's the cheapest type of printer I could purchase to print on this?

Any helps appreciated thanks!

2. OkiTech

OkiTech Senior Member

excuse my question, but are you plan on printing that before attaching lid to the can or after?
    Screen printing could do it probably.

3. gmarch23

gmarch23 Member

It would likely be before hand, however after is an option too.

So screen printing? Can anyone else comment on this?

I am just looking for other advice as well. Thanks for your help

4. rossio

rossio Senior Member

suppose that your volumes are limited. So you´re right choosing screen printing, because it´s easy to use.
    If you got a tough screen printer shop in your area he should handle that.
    But print it before filling - need time to dry if no UV is available.

5. gmarch23

gmarch23 Member

hmmm so it looks like I will be going with screen printing. I am very surprised that no types of computer printers exist that can successfully print on aluminum foil

6. rossio

rossio Senior Member

For shure some systems like HP Indigo or Xeikon can print on Alu but are very expensive. The most important points are:
    Your labels must meet FDA requirements for incidental, non-direct contact with food, regardless of how the food is stored.

7. Ben Printing

Ben Printing Member

I was actually thinking about that too. I know there are some papers with a foil finish, but I didn't even think of the fact that the labels had to meet FDA requirements.

The HP Indigo I use does these screen prints pretty well, but I would suggest getting it done at a shop unless you are looking to make this a completely self-contained business. A lot of these printing companies can do this pretty cheap and have the expensive printers that you may not have the need for.

Good luck!

8. niklaus

niklaus Member

There are many printers for aluminum. UV1525 UV Flatbed Printer is one example; it was design to print images on flatbed materials. The logo will be designed on the computer and can be print equally as their original shape.

9. gmarch23

gmarch23 Member

So my options are . . . . .

SO thanks for the responses guys - It looks like my options are the following

1) Screen printing- (my good friend just bought one for 5k)
    2) Buying some type of printer like HP Indigo for 5k-10k
    3) Outsource the making of the lids to a local print shop each time I need a job done. EDIT: I have called 6 printing companies in my area and 0 said they are capable of printing on aluminum foil lids

So my main question is Since these lids will be in contact with food, are these inks from all 3 of these processes safe for food interaction?

I guess overall I am trying to figure out which method is the cheapest as well as compliant with FDA regulations. If anyone has any experience or recommendations I would appreciate it so much!

Thanks again guys

10. plotter

plotter Senior Member

i think you can get a laser film that you heat press on from the magic touch. may be worth a look

11. gmarch23

gmarch23 Member

Ill give this a shot - ill contact magic touch now

12. rossio

rossio Senior Member

For my opinion could be helpful a look at the guidelines: http://www.eupia.org
    As long as food has no contact (zero migration) with colors it should be possible to use silkscreen colors.
    http://www.flexpack-europe.org/tl_files/FPE/downloads/FPE Q&A Swiss Ink Ordinance 300512.pdf

ask the dealer for a print shop using KBA Genius 52: http://www.kbrgraphics.com/en/products/pressroom/kba/item/kba-genius-52-uv.html
    know the system from a factory presentation, can print any foil and film.

btw. a small dairy in our neighborhood got another solution: http://rieckens-landmilch.de/unsere-produkte/rieckens-joghurt
    it´s easier and cheaper.

13. Ben Printing

Ben Printing Member

As far as FDA regulations go, I'm not quite sure, but I do like the idea for the heat press option. I also know that there are soy based organic links that are all natural and should be in compliance with food and drug regulations.

This is just my idea, and to be honest I'm not 100% sure if organic inks mean that they are completely safe to come into contact with food, but my understanding is that it may be worth looking into.

Again, good luck!

14. gmarch23

gmarch23 Member

Hey Ben,

I have had 2 or 3 people with heat presses tell me it wold likely melt the foil if i used a heat press? Is their anyone on here that owns a heat press?