Used Canon IR C5185 - Connection Problems via USB and Ethernet

Discussion in 'Canon Color Laser Printers & Color Copiers' started by dditzler, Feb 9, 2015.

1. dditzler

dditzler Member

I got this unit used and it has a static IP address. I haven't tried connecting to it via ethernet because I have to get a new router and set that up on the right subnet before I can connect to it. It has a Fiery connected.

Question #1 - Is the USB printing disabled when the Fiery is connected?

I tried connecting to it via USB on my Mac after downloading the drivers. My Mac can see the machine but when I go to print it won't accept any prints and times out. On the Canon if I hit the print tab is says it is ready.

Question #2 - Is there a way to unlock the network settings to give me access?

I did look at this video but I don't have all the options to set this up. I assume that those features are somehow locked to keep people from messing it up.

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QCrzL9ekD-s[/video]

I only have three options as shown.
    [​IMG]

Question #3 - Is there an factory reset for the Network Settings?

My next step is to get another router and set that up so I can get the machine on the network with the previously assigned static IP.

thank you
    -david

2. dditzler

dditzler Member

3. dditzler

dditzler Member

Just an update. I followed the guide on the copytechnet website and uninstalled and reinstalled the imagepassH1 module and set it up from the screen.

Mine had a different password which I got from the previous owner, luckily. I followed the prompts on screen and the article to set mine up with a dynamic IP address. Normally I don't prefer this but in my setup it worked OK.

I don't have a network at my studio where my Canon c5185 is so I connect to the internet via my iPhone with Personal Hotspot through the normal iOS on my phone. I then use Internet Sharing on my Mac to share the connection to my phone via the ethernet jack on my laptop. This I plug directly into the imagepassH1. Once my computer was setup and connected the printer would connect and boot up fine and I could see it. I was able to print just fine via a "generic postscript" driver on my mac but not successfully with the driver I downloaded. The one I downloaded has all the options for paper feed and finishing but when i send a print I get one line of text and then it loads another piece of paper and prints another line of text. I printed 30 pages before I was able to stop it.

With the generic postscript driver I was able to get it to print but I only have the option of paper size and duplex or not. I don't have any paper source or finishing options.

I have to do some more reading to get it working properly but I did have some success.

Another annoying feature is that if I don't have a cable connected to the H1 then it won't get an IP address. It constantly trys looking for an address and if it doesn't find it appears to restart and try again. It seems to keep doing this with no reasonable timeout so you are basically locked out of any of the printer settings if you try to connect with a dynamic IP on no network. It's very frustrating. I don't know if this could be solved by uninstalling it and reinstalling it and setting it up with a static IP address.