Technotrans chiller not chilling

Discussion in 'DI Presses' started by k_graham, Feb 24, 2012.

1. k_graham

k_graham Senior Member

On our DI 46 Plus the TechnoTrans Chiller is pumping water (pressure 4.5 bar when running)

However it is warming up over 30 degrees Centigrade though set at 23 and when it warms up the printing tones in.

I see the cooling fan on the chiller is not running and the compressor feels cool to the touch so I suspect it is not operating. There is mention is the Technotrans manual about changing the fuses but no reference to where they are. Also mention of viewing the site glass for continuous bubbles but I see no site glass unless its somehow got a cover on it?

Anything I can be pointed to appreciated.

Thanks, Ken

2. k_graham

k_graham Senior Member

I did find a burned out fuse and the system is running. It was behind the door that has the temperature display - While it looks like a wiring block there are actually 4 fuses located there, they have a small handle at the top and pull down and the fuse is hidden within
    http://dc.communityprinters.com/Heidelberg_Chiller_fuse.jpg

3. R3dS1gn

R3dS1gn Member

thanks for the info

4. k_graham

k_graham Senior Member

Your Welcome - Unfortunately the good news did not last forever - last week on the 2nd side of a 15,000 run the chiller quit chilling. This time the fuses are good, a refrigeration person tells me the compressor needs replacing - he says he has never seen one like it before as its running but not doing anything. This time its not the cooling fan at fault, though maybe the incident was enough to damage the compressor. He thinks he can source me the compressor based on the codes on it - anything special about these compressors?

Suggestions welcome.

5. k_graham

k_graham Senior Member

We did replace the compressor - unfortunately I never thought to tell the technician to add a site glass or filter/drier until the compressor arrived. The tech thought he had them but turned out he had for wrong size line so the unit went together as original as it was fixed over a weekend.

I would suggest asking for site glass and filter drier with compressor as one can then view freon flow in system as well as verify the freon was properly installed and no moisture is present and the filter should take care of any minor particulate in system. $30 or $40.00 extra insurance that must be done when freon is evacuated.