Sweep motor Pot sensor MOFPH 1992

Discussion in 'Heidelberg Printing Presses' started by HMO81, Jun 27, 2010.

1. HMO81

HMO81 Member

I had to install a new pot sensor for my sweep motor. The problem now is the numbers on my cpc for the sweep setting is not where the sweep is actually at. If I have the sweep set to 40 it is actually only at 20 would be my guess from looking at the fountain ball as it is running. Any ideas as to how to fix this? Press is a 1992 MOFPH.

2. Meny

Meny Senior Member

Zero setting proccess

3. HMO81

HMO81 Member

could you explain in a little more detail?

4. exheidmech

exheidmech Senior Member

There is a couple ways to fix this, probably the easiest way to reset this correctly is to bring your sweep down to zero, remove the pot from the sweep assembly and manually move this to zero and reinstall the pot. Another way is to use a voltage meter. All Heidelberg pots are 10 ohm pots which means that you can put your sweep at 50% and just maually set the pot to 5 ohms (or 5 volts dc if the power is on). I cant remember if there is a scale on the sweet assembly like on a 102, if so that makes it a bit easier to set sweep manually to 50%, if not you may have to use the trial and error method.

5. HMO81

HMO81 Member

So if I understand correctly, Bring sweep to 0 on CPC then manually turn the pot sensor all the way to the zero position after its removal then reinstall? Wont the pin that the gear slides onto in the pot sensor just keep turning and turning or can it only go so far in either direction?

6. exheidmech

exheidmech Senior Member

The pot has a mechanical limit on either end of its travel, just make sure you set it on the correct end, if you set it on the wrong side it will sheer the limit inside the pot and you will need to order a new pot.

7. exheidmech

exheidmech Senior Member

Just to clarify a bit, if you move the cpc to zero postion, the pot is in the position you want it. Just remove the pot being careful not the move it while removing it or reinstalling it. Once the pot is out now you just need to move the mechanical portion of the ink sweep to its zero position. Mechanical "zero is when you feel it hit the stop inside and back half revolution. Next, just reinstall pot and your golden.

8. HMO81

HMO81 Member

Ok I think i understand. Set sweep to 0 on cpc, remove side panel on affected unit, pull pot sensor. Then move the gear attached to sweep motor to its "0" position manually then back 1/2 revolution. Reinstall pot. Why the half turn at the end? THanks for your timely response I really appreciate it! I can get by with how it is but its really frustrating knowing that something is wrong and rolling with it.

9. exheidmech

exheidmech Senior Member

The half revolution at the end is really to ensure that when the motor moves to the "zero" postion it wont become mechanically bound.