SM74 Side to side movement on ink form

Discussion in 'Heidelberg Printing Presses' started by 5colorHeidi, Feb 4, 2018.

1. 5colorHeidi

5colorHeidi New Member

Hi all I'm running a 5 color and in more then one unit my 4th ink form is moving side to side. I've read on here about shimming the roller. I'm just wondering where to shim it, in the roller cup? and what to use? I'm a new pressmen and any help would be appreciated, thanks

2. junker1984

junker1984 Senior Member

3. 5colorHeidi

5colorHeidi New Member

SpeedMaster 74

4. junker1984

junker1984 Senior Member

Depending on model year, SM74 was equipped with inking forms that had self oscillating mechanism. Might this be what you're seeing?

5. turbotom1052

turbotom1052 Senior Member

Not sure if this applies to your model year but if you were to allow the press to idle, and loosen the locking screw with a pin wrench you will see that this will allow lateral movement on the entire roller cup assembly to follow the oscillating rislan roller. If you apply some pretty strong hand pressure to each of the 4 cup shafts that stick out from the units operator side frame, you will feel the entire form roller move side to side with the corresponding vibrator roller. Once the form roller reaches it furthest point towards the gear side of the press, then while still applying pressure to the shaft lock the cup shaft with the pin wrench. This feature also allows you introduce that side to side motion on the form rollers, to aid in ghosting. If you do loosen the rollers in an attempt to help with a ghosting problem be sure NOT to loosen the number 4 form roller as it may cause toning issues.
    If your press does NOT have the ability to allow the roller cups to float, you will need to shim. I would apply the shims on the inside of the roller bearings to make for a fit thats not too tight in the cup.

6. 5colorHeidi

5colorHeidi New Member

Thanks turbotom, its a year 1998 and I have the option to turn on oscillation with a t handle so I will give that a try tomorrow.