SM52 Metering Roller Steel inking up

Discussion in 'Heidelberg Printing Presses' started by mean172, May 28, 2014.

1. mean172

mean172 Member

Hi everyone, I am having a problem with the metering roller steel, it keeps on inking up, I have changed the fount, cleaned everything, I was using MRC but stopped now, how can I desensitize the steel it's driving me made the crazy thing is that it's printing ok.....:confused: , so has anyone got any advice please.............

2. printerdan

printerdan Member

I always preferred scouring powder (Ajax) for such rollers, without knowing there was MRC. Clean it and rinse well.
    Why did you stop with the MRC?

3. mean172

mean172 Member

I think the MRC is contaminating the steel I just don't get it..

4. turbotom1052

turbotom1052 Senior Member

im guessing that your talking about the chrome roller and not the matte roller. There are commercially available chrome roller desensitizers out there but they have nothing on a simple mix you can make yourself. i usually mix together in a 5 lb in can lid equal parts of AGE and pure gum arabic along with a good sprinkling of cream of tartar powder. Mix it together and rub it into the chrome roller really good at the end of the day after you've cleaned with mrc and backed off the pan roller. Let them sit covered in the mixture overnight and then just start up in the regular manner the next morning. Try to do this once or twice a week. Also i wouldn't be afraid of using the MRC.

5. mrheidelberg

mrheidelberg Senior Member

I wouldn't really use Ajax or a scouring powder on the chrome roller as it will damage the surface and it will help it ink up more.

6. SM52

SM52 New Member

I use full Strength fountain solution on a clean cotton pad. Clean your metering roller with MRC, then wipe your chrome roller with the full strength fountain solution.

7. mean172

mean172 Member

Thanks for all your replies, I have sorted the problem good old fashioned plate cleaner and gum, thanks for all your help.....

8. daprint

daprint Member

all good advice, but a wise man once told me this...you have to remind the dampener rollers that they are not inkers once in a while! MRC to clean, then gum arabic neat, and leave to dry overnight. Repeat this until the steel is desensitised, then at the end of the week as a routine.

9. exheidmech

exheidmech Senior Member

If this is a new metering roller, it needs to be cleaned with straight etch. Might be worth a try even if its not new.