SM 74 Plate Clamp

Discussion in 'Heidelberg Printing Presses' started by swilson513, Jan 17, 2011.

1. swilson513

swilson513 Member

One of the plate clamps is only opening a small amount this is causing the plate to bend as it's jamming into the clamp since it's not opening all the way. I can take and manually open the clamp by using a small screwdriver to open them. They seem to be free when opening with the screwdriver.

Thanks

2. turbotom1052

turbotom1052 Senior Member

is the offending plate clamp gunked up with ink more than the others? ive seen this happen when a units solvent dispensing solenoids begin to fail and cause too much solvent to be released during roller washes. when too much solvent is dispensed the rollers loose traction and stop turning. The ink and solvent begins to run down on the plate cylinder and makes a bit of a mess. This eventually dries up on the clamps and impedes their ability to move freely. If thats the problem a little zip strip or other paint remover will free thinks up a bit. After a good cleaning and a little wd40 or another penetrating oil they might move freely again.
    If not then id be looking to the air bladder that actuates the clamp motion. Theve been known to leak and can usually be heard when they do.

3. exheidmech

exheidmech Senior Member

This can many times be caused by the locks on the tail clamp being partially in the locked position. Ensure that the white dots on the locks and eccentrics on the tail clamp are pointing straight up. In this position the locks are unlocked and the eccentrics are centered. It could also mean that the intermediate bar, between the lead and tail clamp is impropperly set. This I would think is only possible if the autoplate system was recently dismantled.

4. swilson513

swilson513 Member

The press is a refurb so the autoplate I would assume they were dismantled. When the press was installed a few weeks back they were working fine. If I open the clamp and just leave it it will eventually open up making me think that there is sometype of deverter valve or something not working like it should. I don't hear any air leaking. I have hosed it down with liquid wrench (what a mess) that didn't change anything. I have Heidelberg scheduled but that's not until Jan 31. Anything else that comes to mind? I did check the tail clamp locks the dots are at 12 oclock. What is the intermediate bar, any way to check it?

Thanks

Thanks

5. exheidmech

exheidmech Senior Member

If you say that the clamp will open up eventually its probably not the intermediate bar. The intermediate bar is the bar that the chrome strip with 3 countersunk screws bolts to. I wouldnt worry about that for now. I would check to see if the tail clamp is moving freely. Easiest way to do that is release the spring pressure from the clamp. to do this you will need 4 6mm allen head screws about 20mm long. Look closely at the tail edge of the plate cylinder and you will find a bar that presses up agaist the clamp. There are actually 2 bars 1 on os and 1 on ds. These two bars each have 2 holes in it. Use the 4 allen screws to compress these bars as far as you can. Once these 2 bars are completely compressed you should be able to move the tail clamp up and down freely. You wont be able to open the clamp but it should pivot 6-8mm or so freely.