Skip feed possible

Discussion in 'DI Presses' started by imaquin, Sep 3, 2010.

1. imaquin

imaquin Member

Hi this might be a very silly question but is it possible to skip feed on the QMDI to allow extra rotation for inking?

2. Marc Bremer

Marc Bremer Senior Member

For what purpose.

3. imaquin

imaquin Member

We where strunggling to pull solids were top half of the image was starving ink from the bottom half half of the sheet. By stopping and starting the press we allowed the ink form rollers to recover but after 30 sheets or so the the image at the top of the sheet starts to effect the solid on the bottom. (probably just a limitation of a portrait press) On other conventional litho presses I have operated I would have overcome this problem by using the "skip Feed Function" which allowed the press to go onto impression print a sheet, then go off impression and cycle a revolution with out feeding a sheet allowing the ink rollers to recover then back on to impression and feed and print a sheet.

4. Marc Bremer

What do you mean by recover the rollers, running the machine only without supplying extra ink to the rollers, or also adding extra ink to the rollers.

5. 2ampress

2ampress Senior Member

What you seek is a Ryobi DI...it rotates twice for every impression by design. Since I have switched from the QMDI over to the 3404DI, I no longer have issues with coverage like I did before. If you are running a 2 sided letter size job that is 2-up, I'd suggest running it as sheet-wise, 1-up and that way your rollers only need to supply half of the coverage instead of full sheet.
    An other thing that can help your coverage just a little is to slow the press down.

6. imaquin

imaquin Member

Hi Marc what i ment was stop the feed but switch leave inking on supplying extra ink to the rollers..

7. imaquin

imaquin Member

Hi 2ampress

I think your right, we will reimage job on monday and run 1 up - can't upgrade to press 3404di yet - have to learn the limitations of this machine.

Have to say we have a classic and have encontered some mechanincal problems and some user problem ( us being silly) but by and large this is an impressive piece of kit and I am more impressed that I thought I would have been when we bought it. How does it compare to 3404?

8. Marc Bremer

Have you set Stroke and Inkkeys both set to 100% already. and what kind of inks you are using. If stroke and inkkeys already set to maximum you can check the disks that drives oscilator rollers, on that disk are 3 positions to connect the metal bar that connects to the shaft of the fountain roller. The moment the fountain roller starts to turn can be changed (and thus also the amount of time that the roller that pendles between the fountain roller and all the other rollers contacts the fountain roller)