Skew Feeding

Discussion in 'Komori Printing Presses' started by Richie, Feb 16, 2011.

1. Richie

Richie Member

Hie guys am having problems with my feeder its feeding paper skewed. The paper is delaying on the operators side only. Unlike Heidelberg machines, this machine(Komori LS440) am running doesnt have an adjustment to correct that. Now when paper reaches the front lays the feeder stops. Have adjusted the fowarding wheels, the suction on both pick up & fowarding suckers but there is no change. Any help or suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

2. FSA

FSA Senior Member

Richie, when you are setting the forwarding wheels make sure you set them on the down side of the cam that raises them, and check all the wheels on the feed table. Two drops of oil is required every six months on the forwarding wheel pivit. Silicon the feed board just past the forwarding wheels to reduce the static. Good Luck

3. RichardK

RichardK Senior Member

Most skew problems are caused by the first set of pinch wheels not dropping at the same time or not being in contact with the sheet when the forwarding suckers release it.

Step one is to make sure the wheels come down at the same time, you can adjust these for timing and pressure quite easily.

Engage the feeder and begin to feed sheets, stop press and inch slowly til sheet held by the forwarding suckers is released.

Now, is the sheet under control of the pinch wheels?

4. Richie

Richie Member

Thanks RichardK am getting to it now, will keep you posted.

5. Richie

Richie Member

did check the fowarding wheels pinching timing it is correct. now have reduduced the suction of the fowarding suckers & its better now we running non stop but still a little skew. thanks guys FSA.

6. RichardK

RichardK Senior Member

Ok...have you checked lift suckers and forward suckers are free of spray powder and are 'snapping' up crisply without any drag?

If they're choked with spray or are 'sticky' when you move them they'll need a rinse out with a non-aggressive solvent (obviously take the sucker rings off first)

DON'T use oil or any other lube other than a whiff of silicone spray after you have dried them.

Does the skew start at the pinch wheel or does it progressively get worse as the sheet makes it way down the feedtable?

7. Richie

Richie Member

The suckers are very clean we regularly clean them. The problem is only on the fowarding wheels & fowarding suckers thats were the skewness happens and it does not get worse. Suprisingly when running a few sheets run straight & 1 or 2 sheets skew on and on like that. Am failing to see what exactly is going on. Dont you think the angle or the height of the fowarding suckers could also cause this.

8. RichardK

RichardK Senior Member

The forwarding suckers ought to be parallel to the sheet.

You say you checked the timing between forwarding sucker releasing the sheet and the pinch wheel taking the sheet. Are you SURE that at no time the sheet was out of control of one or the other? What clearance do you have between the adjustment hex bolt and the back of the lever on the pinchwheel?

What about feedtape tension are they all the same? And wheel pressures are they all the same?

9. RichardK

RichardK Senior Member

Now then, I've just checked our settings and the clearance should be .2mm under the hex bolt to the lever.

But, on checking this we noticed that one wheel's pivot was choked with spray powder and some rust and wasn't allowing free sprung movement...so check that too.

10. Richie

Richie Member

100% sure there is no time the sheet is left freely by either the fowarding suckers & the pinch wheels. If you may explain what an adjustment hex bolt is, maybe i know it with a different term. All the wheels are set the same. Will check for rusting as well.

11. RichardK

RichardK Senior Member

The pinch wheel has three adjustment bolts.

One is to allow it to slide from side to side on the shaft, the one closest to the feeder is for pressure to the first feed roller, the third at the rear is for timing.

As the shaft turns this bolt (with .5mm clearance when the pinch wheel is on the roller) bears down upon a small stubby lever and lifts the wheel clear of the roller and sheet.

12. Richie

Richie Member

Thanks Richardk i reset the pinch wheels, thoroughly cleaned the feeder and the problem is gone.

13. RichardK

RichardK Senior Member

Cool! Nothing more irritating than a feeder constantly tripping out.

The Komori feeder can be either exceptionally reliable or exceptionally unresponsive when things aren't quite right.

The answer is usually returning everything to standard settings as laid down in the book as well as regular cleandowns/lube etc.

14. Richie

Richie Member

You can say that again, generaly speaking i find Komori presses much more reliable than any other. Worked on Roland, Heidelberg and Solna225. Was only introduced to the Komoris a year & half ago i like them, good engineering.

15. RichardK

RichardK Senior Member

You can say that again Richie - I used to run them in the mid 80s and then went on to sell them in Spain for a couple of years I returned to the Uk and started up my own business, eventually bought a Lithrone 426, Sprint 226P, Lithrone 428 and our latest is a Lithrone 626EMP with APC, auto roller/blanket wash as well as KMS IV.

In the past I've run Nebiolo Invicta 44/Crabtree K100/Roland Parva, Rekord, Ultra, 800/Heidelberg KORD, SORD...

the Komori beats 'em all for reliability, productivity and quality.

16. RichardK

RichardK Senior Member

BTW Bollinger is my champagne of preference, I'll settle for Grand Année. :D

17. Richie

Richie Member

Dont worry i will sent you african beer called Umqombothi & the famous, Mopani worms.lol thats how we do it traditionaly or will send boerwors we have the best in the world

18. Richie

Richie Member

you have been in the game from way back hey? no wonder why you have all the knowledge you always sharing on the forum.

19. RichardK

RichardK Senior Member

Well I'm embarrassed to say that I started in 1971 on a 5yr apprenticeship.

I learn something new daily and it's my pleasure to pass on what knowledge I have if it can help a fellow printer (we are a dying breed you know!)

all the best from a damp cold and miserable UK. ;-)

As for the worms beer... errm, I think I'll pass on that :D

20. Richie

Richie Member

I started 2000 on a 4year apprenticeship, on Monday i will be exactly 11years in the game. With printing i believe learning is continuous until the end. Its good to have people like you in the world.
    Very Warm Regards from down South were our tempratures are very pleasant.lo. Today minimum 15 & maximum 28 degrees celcius.
    Cheers