Roll Paper Printing

Discussion in 'Small Format Inkjet Printers' started by Ripr, Aug 19, 2009.

1. Ripr

Ripr New Member

Seeking a bit of input/expertise.

What small format inkjet printers are available that support printing from paper roll?
    I have a free standing roll paper supply system I DIYed so the mounting of the roll on the printer is not an issue.

I am seeking a system that will support the printing of genealogy tree charts.

Options should be Epson, HP, or Cannon.

Based on prior experience, a straight thru paper path is highly desired.

Multi-function printers are not desirable.

Epson

I note that most Epson’s have the capability (print driver based) to print up to 44” length (width). The issue here is how the printer perceives the “page” when it is fed from a roll.

A few years back, I had a R800 that worked very well (when it did not clog or jam). And by minimizing the margins, it would print 44" page to 44" page continuously from a roll feed with a very small gap between the pages (~1/8” ?)

I later tried a C-120, but, apparently the printer driver was modified by Epson since the R800 days, so that if the printer did not sense a “clear” paper path (between 44” max pages) it would report a jam. So the kluge fix was to cut ~44” lengths from the roll. Which defeats the great convenience of using a roll paper supply.

The second discovery was the sensitivity of the paper sensors in the Epson. If the ends of the sheet are not a precisely right angled cut, a jam notification is again provided. I don’t know what the tolerances are, but they are pretty tight.

Does anybody know of a work-around hack that diddles the sensor logic?

HP

Not sure if any length limitations are inherent in the HP drivers - I believe there are none. Examined the Photosmart Pro B8850 which would appear to work but, as priced, is overkill for this application. There does not appear to be a small format model available from HP with straight thru paper feed.

Cannon

Least known to me. Do they even have straight thru paper path models?

Software

Have Poster V 8.0 which is a cute program but runs-up against the drive limitations in Epson

Any inputs appreciated. TIA.

Rip