Registration issues Itek 3985 (Ryobi 3302)

Discussion in 'Ryobi Printing Presses' started by ABerg3860, May 13, 2013.

1. ABerg3860

ABerg3860 Member

I have read as many threads as I could about registration problems with Ryobi presses and have some specific questions. The latest suggestion I had was to replace the gripper fingers on the impression cylinder. Parts have not arrived yet, but some other posts offered other suggestions as well, such as running the sheets through the press before printing. I understand this is to help eliminate static and to prestretch the paper before printing. When doing this, do you run the press dry, or do you run a little water on an old plate? We are trying to run a 4 color Newsletter on 12x17.5" 60 lb offset paper. Any help would be appreciated.

2. ziggy33

ziggy33 Senior Member

running your paper thru the press before printing isn't going to do anything but waste paper with misfeeds and waste a bunch of time. You can run some static tinsel at the feed end to try and reduce static. But if you insist on running your paper thru the press still then just put roller lube on the rollers and plain water in your water system(i have crestlines so i lube those rollers as well) and just run your feed don't put water to cylinders or anything or you will start to have a mess.

3. ABerg3860

ABerg3860 Member

Thanks for your input. That seems to be my sentiment as well, but we were grasping for anything that would help. It seems, for now anyway, that we have overcome the problem. Static may have been some our problem, but to be honest, the tinsel thing has never done anything for me. We do have an anti-static device from Exair that I know removes static from paper on our folder. We run it on the press with just a minimal amount of air pressure. The other thing we have done is to make sure the paper moves sideways as little as possible. I know it has to move some, but we are running it as close to the springs as possible and have them move 1 or 2 mm at most. We also replaced the grippers on the paper feed drum, but I don't think that made any difference. I am convinced that it is either one or both of the things mentioned above that made the difference.
    Thanks for everybody's help in this and other threads. I hope our trials can be a help to others as well.

4. ziggy33

ziggy33 Senior Member

As a press mechanic I can say 99% sure the grippers fixed your problem. That's just me saying from experience running presses and fixing them.

5. Richard Charnock

Richard Charnock New Member

shadow in printing form

i`m having problem with crestline water system,i need help adjusting bottom roller to get 5/32 line on test sheet,,can you help me ,,trying to get rid of shadow on form when printing..thanks if you can.