Reasonable Days work on a 4 Color GTO

Discussion in 'Heidelberg Printing Presses' started by XFired, Jan 9, 2010.

1. XFired

XFired Member

What is considered a reasonable days work on a older 4 color GTO,14x20,single sheet feeder,Kompacs,with console,no auto plate,no plate scanner,ink fountains and ball park plate position have to be adjusted on console and then each individual plate on press tweaked for a perfect fit,for each form to be printed,with each form up to proper color and dead fit,no feeder,hand crank feeder pile and delivery table,and the press operator doing everything,8 hr shift,say a short run book,500 sheets plus overs,60 pages total.....what is a reasonable days work,6,8,or 10 forms per day????

Last edited: Jan 12, 2010
  2. timc

timc Senior Member

Ha Ha what ever you do I will never be enough for the boss

3. XFired

XFired Member

Reasonable Days work on a 4 GTO

I agree with that,but,there still should be a ball park figure for a decent days work,without them pressuring you non stop to do 10hrs work in a 8hr day,I'm getting tired of working with all the undue stress all Day trying to accomplish the impossible work load,was thinking,I should start working like a Jamacian,so I can go home relaxed and stress free...

"suppose 'overwork' is causing stress, which is resulting in headaches. If you only address the symptoms (eg: by taking pain killers to reduce the headaches), the stress remains, and the headaches will return. However, if you can restructure your work demands so that you are not overworked, the headaches will then disappear without the need for pain killers"

Last edited: Jan 9, 2010
  4. KGM

KGM Senior Member

i would say 7 or 8 maybe, that would be a good days work, when you rush jobs quality is compromised, and quality is where its at these days

5. XFired

XFired Member

I would agree,8 - 4 color forms a day with the work involved should be consisered a good days work,seems where I work,thats still not enough,they push for 10 forms a day.....You know the old saying,there's never enough time to do it right the 1st time,but,seems they can find the time for a rerun,with an extended deadline...go figure...

Last edited: Jan 10, 2010
  6. KGM

KGM Senior Member

I also run a 4 colour (komori), 8 would be a good amount for me and my boss. It depends on the job though. If its easy i could do up to 14 in a shift, harder jobs with solids, consistent colours etc 8 would be acceptable.
    My boss doesn't mind really how long i take as long as the quality is good, sometimes it worth taking that little bit extra to make sure its perfect.

7. XFired

XFired Member

Curious,press sheet size?,do you have plate scanners or auto plate to help out?I'm on a base 4 color GTO thats 20 years old..

8. KGM

KGM Senior Member

sra2, 1984 komori. i have lateral and circumferential adjustments on my console but no plate cocking. plates are manually put on. i have to set my ink profiles myself too.
    I based my last post on a run of 500 sheets, although id still do 5 forms a shift on up to 3000 sheets.

9. XFired

XFired Member

Komori,must be nice,ran one in the past....still,you have a stream feeder,power feeder pile lift,power delivery,and are able to rake the delivery piles without shutting the press Down...a Base GTO has none of these creature comforts...so,8 - 4 Color Forms is still a good days work on a GTO....

10. 4 color GTO

4 color GTO Member

A good day is 15 minutes per unit to set up, and once up and running- 5,000 per hour depending on stock.

11. all alone

all alone Member

I work a gto 52 4 colour 1987 model. All manual set up. I think to set up a process job from first plate on to first good sheet out and ready to go should be 40mins max. Run the machine at around 5000 sheets per hour. I think thats all can be expected from you. Mind you i also at the same time run a single colour gto 46 and a xerox digital print press and prepare my own paper for production which can be very stressful and can get exhaused from the running around. I also image all plates and do the artwork as well. Stress is what you make it... relax and always take pride in your work and the amount you do! Hope that helps!!!:)

12. XFired

XFired Member

4 color GTO Workload

15 minutes a unit for makeready,lol,must be a union shop,I have a 1/2 hr max to set up,position and run....actually,it's time I pushed back and slowed down,and,started to work like a Jamacian, I don't have shares in the company,and my name is not on the front door,time to go stress free...Pete

Last edited: Feb 1, 2010