QM46 Plate Clamp

Discussion in 'Heidelberg Printing Presses' started by Paul East Mids UK, Feb 9, 2020.

1. Paul East Mids UK

Paul East Mids UK New Member

I run a QM46 and the plates are starting to slip on one side. This is on PU1 on the lead clamp.
    I suspect this could down to a failed spring on the clamp but am open to other suggestions...

Is the plate clamp easy to remove from the cylinder to replace the spring or would I need to call tech in to do it?

2. CHOCK

CHOCK Senior Member

Hi sir:

Check whether the rear edge of the plate in PU 1 is being held by the dampening form roller or in PU 2 by the inking rollers: see "Mechanical fault" or "Electrical fault".

Mechanical malfunction

If the rear edge of the plate is clamped between the rollers and cannot be removed directly by hand, open the roller journal boxes, remove roller and take out printing plate.

If the plate cannot be removed, cut off the printing plate behind the front edge of the plate and remove.

Continue to turn the press using the crank handle or inching, in order to open the clamping mechanism of the front edge of plate and then remove the rest of the plate.

Otherwhise, call a tech from Heidelberg.

3. Paul East Mids UK

Thanks Chock for your swift reply but I don't think you understand the issue.

I can load and eject a plate without any problem.
    The issue is that when a plate is loaded it will start to slip out of the plate clamp (The lead clamp not the tail) during press runs.

If I mount a plate and then manually remove it is apparent that the clamp isn't gripping the plate tightly enough as I can pull one side out of the clamp while it is still closed.

This is why I suspect a plate spring may have failed.

4. Color Printing Forum Admin

Color Printing Forum Admin Administrator

<Additional posts have been removed from this thread which appeared to be offering or asking for any service documents> While it is greatly appreciated when people can help one another by sharing their own knowledge and experience, we want to be careful that the forum is not used to offer, sell, or ask for any copyrighted service documents in any way that would violate anyone's copyright or legal rights. Thanks very much for your understanding.

5. CHOCK

CHOCK Senior Member

What about this:

Please only offer or sell material which Heidelberg allows to be distributed or sold without violating copyright or license agreement. Please do not get the forum into trouble by asking for, offering, or selling any material which would violate a company's copyright or restrictions, e.g. service manuals or software which are restricted cannot be distributed or offered here.

Thanks very much for your understanding, and for offering any advice or assistance which can be offered without running afoul of Heidelberg's (or other companies) rights and rules.
    Just a reminder:

Operations manuals or manuals which are sold to the public are fine.

It is fine to trade, request, or give manuals or tools as long as they are not prohibited from sale/trade and don't violate copyright (if they are out of copyright for example).

It is fine to ask about the procedure for obtaining manuals or restricted tools legally and through proper channels.

It is fine to ask questions that others can help answer regarding servicing your press.

Blessing

6. Paul East Mids UK

CHOCK
    What on earth are you blethering on about?

7. CHOCK

CHOCK Senior Member

Sorry this is Not was for you
    Was for Forum.
    My apologize.
    Blessing