Printing solids on envelope flaps

Discussion in 'Print Community General Printing Discussion' started by Muddy, Sep 29, 2009.

1. Muddy

Muddy New Member

Hey everyone.

I have a project to do where I have a #10 open end envelope that has printing on the face and full solid printing on the flap.

- I can't print as flat sheets and the convert into envelopes because the converter can't hold registration tight enough to get the edge of the solid to hit on the fold.
    -I can't open the flaps and grip them on the long edge because they are open end I will lose part of the image into the gripper margin.
    - I can't grip them on the narrow edge opposite the flap as the only press we have that will go down to 4 1/8 inch width is a duplicator and it won't do a good job of the pantone color match and solid coverage.
    -I've spoken with several converters and I'm getting the same answer. One coverter tells me if I give them 15000 they will "guarantee" 5000. I suppose that is my very last option

The order is for 5000 from my #1 customer so saying know or not solving this is not an issue. The last thing I need is for them to find someone else to do this for them.

Any ideas?

2. digital-labels

digital-labels Member

We have been successful in taking preprinted ,scored and diecut sheets and folding and leaving the flaps extented with very little inspection required.
    Let me know:
    digital-labels@comcast.net

3. heidi_helper

heidi_helper Member

I agree with "digital-labels". We ran a simliar job as flat sheets and had NO problem with having them converted. All they needed was a few hundred overs on a job of about 300 envelopes and "spotters"....printed sheets with registration dots for the converter to use as set-ups. They only needed fifty with reversed out dots in the solid. After that, take an image addition pen and fill them in, or make a plate without them. If they can't hole register, my question is whose machine won't hold tight register, yours or theirs. If its yours, sub out the printing. If its theirs, maybe you should take "digital-labels" up on his offer.

4. heidi_helper

heidi_helper Member

Correction on my last reply...they needed a few hundred overs on a job of 3000 envelopes.