Printing press wants to become a publisher

Discussion in 'Printing Business Practices' started by bitxis, Nov 12, 2011.

1. bitxis

bitxis New Member

Hi!

I own a small printing press. I have three numbers of mono-colour offset machines and both pre-press and binding facility. Currently I print stationery, brochures, cards etc for local firms in my neighborhood.

I want to start a publishing house by launching a book written by myself. I want good suggestions to establish my printing press as a publishing house. Please suggest me ways and means to attract young authors to publish books in my printing press. Thank you!

2. xfactor printing

xfactor printing Senior Member

To me, the term "publisher" or "publishing house" means an operation which does a lot of the marketing for the book and puts their own capital up to publish the book. They handle placing it in bookstores, having book signings, getting blurbs for the back from known people, etc. etc. This implies longer runs and capital up.

There are also presses which cater to self-published books, such as local travel books or shorter run self-published books where the writer puts up the money and does the marketing and the press only prints and delivers the finished books.