Printing issues

Discussion in 'Canon Color Laser Printers & Color Copiers' started by sjmayer67, Aug 29, 2012.

1. sjmayer67

sjmayer67 Member

I have a clc4040 with a h1 fiery rip.
    I have a client that uses a clc4040 with an hi Fiery to proof pages directly from Adobe indesign. If he prints a document with light coloured type on it, he colour is washed-out and prints much lighter than the colour specified. It seems to happen when all lighter colours are used. Print a box on the same page using the smae colour and it prints as it should.
    Can anyone help?
    Thanks in advance of helping, if you can

2. Greg_Firestone

Greg_Firestone Member

What are the color management settings on the RIP? Any conversions taking place? Also, when you say print a box, it is a raster box or a vector box?

Greg

3. sjmayer67

sjmayer67 Member

Hi Greg
    Thanks for your reply. I'll have to check that regarding the setting.
    The box is created in Indesign so I am 99% it's a vector box and the program is being run on a mac so the fonts will be postscript.
    If there's anything you could suggest before seeing the setting, i'd be eternally grateful!

Steve

4. Greg_Firestone

Greg_Firestone Member

Hi Steve,

Yeah, if it was created in InDesign, it's vector. Some RIPs will have different conversions or settings for how they handle color. I'm not too familiar with the H1 Fiery, but my thought was they had different options for text, graphics, and raster data.

Are the files being printed directly from InDesign? If so, the InDesign print settings will also come into play. Do you get the same results if you take a PDF and print it?

Sorry to ask so many questions.

Greg

5. sjmayer67

sjmayer67 Member

Hi Greg
    Questions are not a problem as I am tearing my hair out this end!!
    They are being printed directly from Indesign. If they are printed from a PDF there is a small improvement but the colours aren't nearly as print as from printing directly from indesign.
    I have to say i'm a little out of my depth here too

6. sjmayer67

sjmayer67 Member

Hi Greg
    Just had a look for some print outs of the same page. One straight from Indesign, the other from a pdf. Looks like it only affects the fonts. Not sure why or how to resolve it but at least we've been able to narrow it down.
    Steve

7. Greg_Firestone

Greg_Firestone Member

Any luck checking those color settings?

Greg

8. sjmayer67

sjmayer67 Member

Not really sure where I'm looking?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Steve

9. Greg_Firestone

Greg_Firestone Member

Hi Steve,

I don't know where to look. You can also try to isolate the issue to InDesign by creating a document in Illustrator. What might be more interesting is to take some text, duplicate it, and then convert 1 copy of it to outlines. From your previous tests, they should print differently. If you get the same results, it rules out InDesign as the culprint.

Is the text over any other objects (knocking out or overprinting) or is it on a white (paper) background?

Greg

10. sjmayer67

sjmayer67 Member

Hi Greg

I'll try and arrange to do the further test but as the far as the over printing and knockout. I know that it's been tried with every permutation and happens in every instance. It seems that if it's a font and if it's in any colour, it seems to happen. (possibly with the exception of black.)
    Basically a font issue. I have no idea how that might caused or more importantly how to rectify it?

Steve

11. jumpman

jumpman New Member

thanks for all.