Polar 66 BRK-4096 Error

Discussion in 'Cutters and Trimmers' started by spcink, Feb 13, 2018.

1. spcink

spcink Member

We have a '99 Era Polar 66 Cutter that we started having problems with recently. The backgauge started failing to move. We pulled the 24 volt motor that drives the backgauge and brought it to a motor repair place. They determined that the brushes were shot and replaced them. We reinstalled the motor and now are having issues scanning for a reference position. Sometimes it will scan and succeed other times, the backgauge stalls around the maximum depth and spits a BRK-4096 error on the display.

We spoke to Heidelberg and they told us that the brk-4096 error is a communications error and should have nothing to do with the motor. Anything is possible, but that seems odd since we never received this error before "fixing" the motor.

The other issue is that even when the scan for reference position does not fail the cutter does not work properly. If we punch in 11" , the backgauge moves to go back to 11", moves past it and when moving back towards it will stop (usually within an 1/8" and say, "position not achieved".

Any help is much appreciated.

2. ryobiTech

ryobiTech Member

I havejust checked and the BRK error is a malfunction between the main computer and the keyboard computer, the numbers are for factoy diagnostics, there is a memo attached which says Machine during referance scan counts in multiples , ie counts in 20mm steps. Backguage drive runs at slow speed, Faulty SAP card. I would first check the ref sensor in the middle of the backguage drive, It should be as close to the flag on the backguage as you can get it without touching. Check the encoder grubscrew, make sure it is tight, Check the motor drive belt tension. Its also a possability the brushes on the motor had worn so much they shorted and caused damage to the SAP card. Hope this helps. The ref sensor position is very important so start there.

3. spcink

spcink Member

Thank you very much for the feedback. The flag to sensor distance is about 1/16" apart. Since the motor brushes were replaced, the motor seems to actually run faster than it previously did, but that may just be our imagination. When we scan for a reference position, the backgauge and flag run just about 1/4" or so past the sensor and then return back to it, so it would appear that the sensor is picking up the flag, but maybe not?? Can you tell me what the encoder grubscrew is and its location? The motor drive belt tension seems good, not too tight, not so loose that it skips teeth. Is there anyway that we can test eh SAP board? I know in the past Heidelberg has had us look at the diodes/lights on it.

Thank you so very much for the help.

4. ryobiTech

ryobiTech Member

Hi, I usually set up the sensor so I can put a .2mm guage between the flag and sensor. About the thickness of 200gsm card. The encoder is at the opposite end of the shaft, So by looking along the worm shaft follow it through the back of the main machine body and the encoder is mounted there. Its quite small , about 30mm diameter.

5. CHOCK

CHOCK Senior Member

Good day sir:
    Hi hope you are well.
    That error means: messages malfunctions in exchange Data from CPu vs KC(keyboard computer)
    Please do the following steps:
    In board SAP: 1) See V6 LED Red; must be off, when backgauge motor is Stop. a) when you must push the button the Led Red must be ON.
    1a) Observe in SAP board: Led Yellow V20 , Normally will be ON, When you activated the B3-Micro electronic Handwell must go OFF
    1b) I am very Strong recommend you to make a NEW REFERENCE RUN:
    2)Check power supply in G2:+5Vdc +12Vdc tolerance 0.5% + O -is there out Replace it
    3)Check Power supply in Terminal X500 at keyboard
    4) Check data cable from CP Plug X3- To Keyboard computer plug X503
    5) iF THE CPu is defective Observe very well the Software Version in order to get the same Version Update.
    6) If everything is o.k must be Replace the KC(Key Board computer).
    7) Replace CP, if the conditions above are O.K.

Let me know any question or doubt about to my email.
    Blessing
    cell+WhatsApp:+50588611441

6. spcink

spcink Member

I just measured the gap between the flag and the sensor with a piece of cardstock and it is right between .2 and .3 mm. I also checked the encoder and the bracket is nice and tight, no movement there. I reseated the 3 boards under the machine and reseated the 15 pin din cable that comes off the from of one of the boards. For a brief moment (2 measurements) I plugged in 10.000" and it went to it without error, I then moved it to 11.000" and it went to it without error. I reran the position scan and it succeeded (after two attempts), but we are now back to the position not achieve error (79). Is there anyway to test the SAP board or the encoder or are they just a replace type of part?

7. CHOCK

CHOCK Senior Member

Dear Sir:
    Please do the steps mentioned before.

Blessing

8. spcink

spcink Member

1) On the SAP board, the V6 Red LED is off when the motor is still and turns on when the motor is moving.
    1a) The V20 Yellow LED is off until the small manual adjust wheel/ potentiometer is activated, then it tuns on.
    1b) We tried running a new reference scan, but it still does not work.
    2) I am not sure which power supply is the G2, can you help me with that location?
    3) The power supply at X500 is 4.99 volts
    4) The continuity on each of the contacts is good for each of the 4 wires on the data cable

Every once in a while, we can punch in a number and the backgauge successfully goes to that position, but 99 times out of 100 we receive the position not achieved error (79)

Again, the help is much appreciated!

9. spcink

spcink Member

Something just dawned upon us. While the motor was being rebuilt an electric drill was chocked up to the motor end of the worm screw shaft so that the cutter could still be used. Could that have damaged teh encoder if the drill was spun too fast perhaps?

10. CHOCK

CHOCK Senior Member

ok
    Blessing

Attached Files:

11. spcink

spcink Member

Okay, thank you for the diagram. the 5Vdc is reading 5.05 and the 12 volt is reading 12.2

12. CHOCK

CHOCK Senior Member

ok sir question:
    1) test +5 +12 are ok
    2) what about +24? +28Vdc? see the Schematic that i did send you again.
    3) If every power supply are o.k and the test that you did according with my steps,are o.k.
    4) Go to the CP board has 2 LEDs V1 +V4 +S1 reset switch: a) Reset the small switch b) V1 LED On=computer Active + c) V4 indicate recognition of reference point for backgauge by briefly lighting up d) test the Lithium battery for backup for 3.6Vdc , replace if under
    the voltage inmediately, with carefully in order to Keep the Data in RAM memory.
    Blessing

13. spcink

spcink Member

the 24 and 28 volt both measure correctly. The battery is good and the reset switch didn't seem to help either.

We are starting the think that installing a microcut system might be a good fix instead of replacing boards in a 20 year old machine.

14. CHOCK

CHOCK Senior Member

ok
    If you send me email
    I will give some additional instructions
    Blessing

15. ryobiTech

ryobiTech Member

Edit, Just read your last message, Could be a faulty encoder, the encoder looks for a certain amount of pulses within a given timeframe. If these do not match, then you get this error,

16. ryobiTech

ryobiTech Member

I will look at the manual tomorrow and let you know the test for the PCB.

17. spcink

spcink Member

Just to follow up and let everyone know how we made out. Heidelberg came out and tried replacing the SAP board, but determined that it was the CP board that is causing our problems.
    The problem is being caused by the fact that we are not getting and slow down before the motor stops so it is overshooting its position.