Please can you advise me on what digital printer to buy.

Discussion in 'Ricoh Color Laser Printers & Color Copiers' started by soyebravat, Feb 7, 2012.

1. soyebravat

soyebravat New Member

Hi all,

I am a wide format printer based in the uk and am looking at going in to digital printing. I know very little about digital printing and am getting bogged down to which printer to buy.

My huge confusion is I expect some of these printers to be a minimum of £1000 - £1500, however there are ricoh printers out there for £100!!!

Some Xerox printers go for £6000 so I am confused.

I guess what I am asking is what is the fundamental difference between a £100 machine and a £6000 one??

I am assuming it is to do with volume and the type of media the printer can take. If I should be selling 5000-10000 a month what kind of printer would be suitable??

I was hoping to print the following :

Business cards
    Leaflets approximately 1000 - 2000 per order
    letterheads
    compliment slips
    a3 size and hoping for thick media such as 300gsm

reasonable economy and reliability
    Thank you for your help in advance

2. plotter

plotter Senior Member

for a middle of the road printer go with a dry toner something like a xerox 242 or similiar..
    like wide format printers, you get whet you pay for.. get it on a service contract and pay per click. if anything goes wrong theyll fix it and replace toners and drums as needed. without the service you could end up with a very hefty bill and a huge paperweight in the corner of the room.
    these are middle of the price range before you go into true digital print like qmdi ect good luck

3. adammark23

adammark23 Previous User

My huge confusion is I expect some of these printers to be a minimum of £1000 - £1500, however there are ricoh printers out there for £100!!!

4. plotter

plotter Senior Member

imo you get what you pay for, if its that cheap, steer clear. probably something wrong somewhere. a service contract is a must and a hundred pound printer wont have one, and has probably had a hard life hence the price.. you know yourself you can get a wide format printer for 800 bucks, but dont expect it to do the same as a solvent printer that costs 10 times that.