Phaser 7760 Max Print width problem / margins?

Discussion in 'Xerox Color Laser Printers & Color Copiers' started by clickpostcard, Oct 8, 2011.

1. clickpostcard

clickpostcard Member

Hi,
    I've been running a Phaser 7400 on SRA3 stock for a couple of years. We print an image 305mm wide to give us enough bleed so it will cut on our Morgana CardXtra without leaving white marks.

We've just bought a 7760 to give us a better print quality. BUT I've got big problems with the print width. It'll quite happily feed SRA3 but for ages I couldn't get it to print wider than 297mm. By turning the margins to 'none' (in advanced section of driver) I've managed to get it to print 301mm but this still isn't good enough. I've got an outstanding call with Xerox but I wondered if anyone here had any ideas? Is it a product limitation? If so, I can't find ANY specs on the internet refering to this.

There is a new firmware and driver available (although the driver is 4 years old) which refer to 'SRA3 margin problem' - I've installed the driver (for which there's only a Win2K version, 32bit and I'm on Win7 64 bit!) but the margin settings reported by the driver are the same as before. I'm nervous about installing the newer firmware as 1. the machine is on the Xerox pagepack contract and I'm not sure if i need specific pagepack firmware and 2. if I'm sending the printer back, I don't want them kicking off with me saying 'we can't accept it because it's been modified with new firmware'. I'm also very sceptical that this will resolve my issue.

So, does anyone have any comments please? Is it a product limitation? Or have I missed some fundemental setting somewhere?

TIA

Gavin
    www.clickpostcard.com

2. eddleetham

eddleetham Member

It was a problem I had with 7760 from new. I complained to Xerox several times but they didn't believe me. Eventually a service technician discovered that a fix was available and downloaded and installed it. I can't remember the details, but a Xerox tech guy should be able to solve it now.

I can now get 4-up A5 full bleed prints from an SRA3 sheet - but only just. The minimum white border is about 5mm / 0.3".

3. mchak

mchak New Member

how can I get wider image area on Phaser 7760?

How wide is your max image area? I have a Phaser 7760 and can only get 11.875 inches (302 mm) on SRA3 paper. I spoke with Xerox 2nd level tech support and they said that the max image area is 11.69 inches - obviously not true. I'm on a Mac OSX 10.7.3 (Lion). I cannot find any info on how to change the margin settings.

What I need is a full 12 inches (305 mm) of image area. Is that possible? Any idea how to change the settings?

4. eddleetham

eddleetham Member

I *think* I solved it by downloading the latest driver, released last August - "Print Driver Installer for Mac 10-5 - 10.7" which is available for download from the Xerox website. Give it a try.

5. mchak

mchak New Member

max image area on 7760

I already have the latest driver. Is there a setting you know about where I can change the margin amount?

6. eddleetham

eddleetham Member

Sorry, it was the Firmware Release PS 5.2.1 that I downloaded. The description reads:

"Phaser 7760 maintenance release that resolves color plane shift at power-up or after warm-up, PostScript image rendering issue, stapler diagnostic adjustment issue, SRA3 margin issue, Thick Glossy media issue for PCL drivers, Direct PDF submission issues, and Secure Print job name issue."

It's available at http://www.support.xerox.com/support/phaser-7760/downloads/engb.html?operatingSystem=macosx. That should solve the SRA3 margin problem.

7. mchak

mchak New Member

Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately, I do already have that firmware version. So I'm just wondering, what OS and application are you printing from? Do you have an option to create a custom page size and choose the margins somewhere?

Perhaps I am already getting the same output as you. I get max width of 11.875" or 302 mm. Do you have a wider print area than that?

8. eddleetham

eddleetham Member

In that case, I'm baffled. I'm using OS 10.6 and I just specify the page size as SRA3. If I were to print a solid colour over the whole page, it would actually print up to 5mm from the edge - that's a total print width of 310mm. I used to get around 302mm, and coverage would be rather patchy towards the edges, but now I'm quite happy with it.

Do you have a service contract with Xerox or one of their agents? If so, you should ask them to come and sort it out.

Sorry I can't be of more help. Edward