Older Lithrone 428 recommendation to buy (or not)

Discussion in 'Komori Printing Presses' started by Ale in the South, Oct 15, 2012.

1. Ale in the South

Ale in the South Member

Hi folks, this is my first post, but i´ve been following the forum for a while..

I´m currently running commercial printing jobs on a late 80´s Super Sprint 425. The old lady is fantastic, we´ve been together for a pair of years.. but.. she´s getting no younger.. ;)
    So, I start trying to buy a 1999 -2001 L428 with PQC, and, if possible, semi autoplate.
    I´m struggling up in a wild -low priced- printing market in Argentina, inner country, and I´d like to serve a higher quality market than magazines and commercial brochures, wich is where we are now.
    Ok, then, my budget doesn´t fit the cost of a 2000 Lithone 428 and here come my question:
    Wich is the Lithrone´s older model that can do really a difference with the SSprint? I mean, I´ve been offered a 1990 L 428, PQC was the biggset difference (ok, double diameter imps cils are really a pro, but I´m not shure if that´s standard in all L series.). I watch the pictures of the machine and is VERY similar to the Sprint.
    Can you point me about when the Lithrone was renewed and, thereby, can be a competitive tool to get with my low budget? I think models over 95 are differents, and came with Komorimatics II (it was a hard fight to get the propper balance with the Komo´tics of the Sprint..).

Mostly, I want (I´d like :) )
    - a more stable water system (we have solved the lack of gears on the dampening form roller!!:cool:), but in a long day, it beggins to make us run to change set up..
    - The chromed imp and transfer cil are really a need now for us..
    - Metal grippers pads (the rubber ones are a headache every month for us)
    - faster color setting and running speed.

In short terms, wich Lithrone would you aim in my position?

Well, any tought will be higly appreciated. (and please forget my rusty english!!)
    Thanks in advance.
    Ale

2. Yorkshire Gripper

Yorkshire Gripper Senior Member

The lithrone was introduced in the mid to late eighties as a successror to the sprint. Main differences were double size cyliders (all lithrones have them) and off press control (PQC). The early models were a step up on the sprint but not so different damping or rollers. They also had plain bushing plate and blanket bearings like the sprint. Printing wasn't much different to a super sprint but they were better for not marking and the feeder and delivery were better. Over the next 10 years the lithrone was improved through a development called PALS, product advancement of lithrone series. This was done in 2 stages and adressed mainly damping streaks and cylinder shocks, bearings were all made triple race roller and damper diameters changed, carton board attatcments developed, gripper haft diameter increased and gripper design changed. Of this series the late 80's machines were the best. If you could find one in good condition it would be animprovement on your sprint in all ares. The L28 was introduced along with a L26 in the same style. Main differences were roller and damper diameters and ink mill design, semi apc was also available, the Pqc changed and cylider cocking appeared. Of the very early L28/26's there were problems with damper gears failing, streaking caused by reprofolied cylinder edges due to the smaller cylinder gap on the 28 and not so good manual plate clamps for the same reason. In good condition this machine would print better than the early Lithrones but it is hard to find one in that condition. The 2000 series of lithrones were without doubt the best series before the LS (some may even argue including the LS) After many years of development nearly all the issues had been adressed. The press was robust, reliable and printed well. It could take a lot of abuse and still print. The APC was very good and it could be linked to pre-press via cip3. Probably the best machine of its generation in this size. If you can possibly afford a 2000 series buy one. The NL was the next development before LS. Komori for whatever reason decided to change the good damping on the 2000 series to one with problems on the NL, avoid if not modified. I hope you find this useful and get a machine that helps you.
    Your english is better than any other language I can speak!
    YG

3. Ale in the South

Ale in the South Member

Thanks a lot, Yorkshire Gripper. That was the kind of data I needed.
    I hope to find a nice L428 from 89 - 90 and do the step to a newer one in a pair of years.
    I´ll be bothering -if you don´t mind- when a nice press appear to know your opinion.

Thanks again!
    Ale

4. John A.

John A. Senior Member

Yorkshire Gripper
    I have been running an NL 628 for over three years, pulling my hair out to make it print as good as my former 2000 series Lithrone. Could you tell me what is required to modify my NL?
    Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

John

5. Meny

Meny Senior Member

upgrade a newer pressto older press ?????

John
    If your newer press is not preforming as the old one , i think it is set up wrong.
    This can not be sensed over the network - must be checked on site.

Good luck
    Meny

6. Yorkshire Gripper

Yorkshire Gripper Senior Member

John, It's a long time ago and my memory is hazy (getting old lol) but I think it related to the diameters of the chrome oscillating roller and the plate damper, I think they were different on the NL and maybe the gears were different in the drive to give a delta effect. Check your manual, it may be that your machine needs a different diameter plate damper to an older L28. If you are being supplied with the standard diameter from your roller supplier it will cause problems.
    Komori America Corporation should be able to give you some info on the NL. What are the problems you have, is it damping related?

OGR

7. Ale in the South

Ale in the South Member

Well, since I get moody :) when I look up old threads and no "closure" is given, I tell you folks what happened...
    No L426 / 428 of the early 90 founded.. AND still short budgeted for a newer one, I´ve offered a Sakurai Oliver 472 ed II from
    1996. It has sapc, pqc, blanket washers and low impressions, but i´ve never saw one of them working near here and have no folks printers who can tell me if the press is good or no..
    I´ll open a thread for opinions of the quality of the press and if no one tells me how wonderful this non-expensive Lithrone-alike is, well, just draw back my pennies and wait to the Wise Men to send me a low rate loan..
    Thanks for your interest!

Hope you all guys have an excellent New Year!!