Older Komori L240 double sheet detector problems

Discussion in 'Komori Printing Presses' started by ChrisH, Dec 21, 2010.

1. ChrisH

ChrisH Member

We have a 1984 Komori L240 and are having trouble with the double sheet detector. The feeder won't engage. It just clicks when you push the feeder on button. It has 2 adjustment knobs and is hard to set correctly. It still lets double sheets through occasionally. We adjusted it to where the feeder will come on now but it won't disengage now. Does anyone have any info on how to properly set a double sheet with the 2 knobs or any suggestions on how to make it work better.
    Thanks.

2. KGM

KGM Senior Member

3. klecman

klecman Senior Member

Lithrone 40 Mechanical Double Sheet Detector

Cleaning and Adjustment

1. Using a good grade of spray contact cleaner such as CRC QD, flush all dirt and grease from all the moving parts surfaces. Place a rag on the feedboard to prevent excess cleaner from dripping on the feedboard.

2. Pull the small black mushroom shaped plunger forward and spray cleaner around it to clean the inside of the hole in which it slides. When you pull the lower adjusting knob toward the delivery end of the press, the plunger should slide freely. Do not use any lubricants on any of the moving parts

3. The swinging contact arm should be centered and free to move about 1/8 of an inch from side to side. You can adjust this with the two captured hollow socket screws at the base of the arm.

4. Ensure that the wire to the contact arm is free to move with the arm and does not rub against any of the stationary parts. If the wire needs replacing, use the most flexible wire available.

5. Using a piece of uncoated paper placed between the brass contacts, press the contacts together and polish the contact surfaces. If the contacts are not smooth, file them with a very fine file or 600 grit sandpaper. Then polish with paper.

6. Loosen the upper red locking knob and set the contacts to a gap of about .014 inches or 0.35mm. Wrap tape around the adjustment knobs to prevent the operator from accidentally turning them.

7. Ensure that the wire to the stationary contact has a good electrical connection to the stationary contact. Loosen the lock nut and using a small screwdriver, check that the slotted screw is firmly screwed in. Apply only light force as the threaded hole is easily damaged. Check with an ohmmeter if available.

8. Loosen the lower black adjusting knob locking ring. Turn the adjusting knob in a clockwise direction until the rubber wheel is slightly above the feedboard. Pull the knob to see that the contact arm moves freely.

9. Start the press in Slow speed, engage the feeder and by pulling forward on the lower adjusting knob, confirm that the feeder trips reliably.

Setting Procedure

1. Cut 4 strips about 8 inches in length and 1 inch wide of the stock you are running. Or you can cut 2 longer strips and fold them in half lengthwise.

2. Start the press in Slow speed and engage the feeder.

3. Pass the 4 sheets under the rubber wheel and slowly turn the black adjustment knob to the left until the feeder trips.

4. Pass 3 sheets to ensure that the feeder does not trip.

5. Pass 4 sheets again to be sure the feeder trips.

6. Lock down the black adjusting knob.

4. RichardK

RichardK Senior Member

This so comprehensive that I've printed it out for the use of our guys. Unless I'm mistaken, I think it applies to most Lithrone models with the mechanical 2 sheet detector.

Thanks Klecman and Merry Christmas!

5. klecman

klecman Senior Member

I'm happy to be of service. The detector on the smaller presses is much more trouble free and requires only an occasional cleaning of the contacts. I havn't seen the version on the LS models and perhaps it has been improved. I'm compiling a booklet of troubleshooting and service hints and posting them on this forum which allows me to get feedback as to any corrections or improvements.

An associate of mine provides an electronic double sheet detector for replacement of the standard optical version. Contact me for details.

I see my Eyekom adjustment procedures have been reposted a few times. All that I request is a statement of acknowledgement when duplicated for distribution on the Web.

Some shameless self promotion: For a small fee, I am available on an individual basis to help with more complex electrical troubleshooting problems for Komori Lithrone and Sprint presses. I can be contacted through the private message section of the forum.

Smaller issues of general interest will continue to be addressed on this forum.

6. klecman

klecman Senior Member

In keeping with the spirit of the forum, no fee will be charged for individual consultations.