Offset Printing - Understanding Specs

Discussion in 'Heidelberg Printing Presses' started by ajaybc, Sep 7, 2009.

1. ajaybc

ajaybc Member

Hi
    I am new at offset printing and trying to understand some of the specs that you see in Heidelberg presses.
    Can any one please help me understand the same or guide me to a manual or some thing

1. Perfector - what is this used for and is this a must in a press???

2. chromed cylinders - are there different types of cylinders. Are chromed cylinders better and required

3. Auto plate ???

4. CPC 1-04 or 1-02

5.Alcolor Dampening System with cooling and Refrigerant - What is this used for and is it a must

Is there arything else that is a must have in heidelberg press.

Thank you

2. mrheidelberg

mrheidelberg Senior Member

Hi,

In answer to your questions................

1. A perfector allows in 1 pass of the sheet, the machine to print on both sides, not a must but handy if you are say printing sections of a book.

2. Chromed cylinders, that is just the surface of the cylinder and prevents rusting.

3. Autoplate, is the semi automatic function of mounting / removing the plates from the plate cylinder so no tools are required. Heidelberg make the best system for this.

4. 1.02 and 1.04 refers to the level and type of remote ink & register adjustment, 1.04 being the latest type before moving onto the CP2000 touch screen version.

5. Alcohol damping is a must for quality and consistance. Heidelbergs system is called Alcolor and again is the best system for ease of use and consistancy. The fount solution is chilled to a semi consistant temperature which also prevents rapid evaporation of the alcohol, but there are fount solutions these days which replace the alcohol which are much more enviromently friendly.

Hope this helps, :)

Regards.

3. exheidmech

exheidmech Senior Member

I am probably going to be echoing much of what mrheidelberg says, but a few more thinks to be mindful of.

Perfector. Yes, it is very useful but not a must. If you find yourself printing 2 sides alot it may be something to consider, it will give you much more flexibilty. But, with this flexibility comes more responsability. Perfector can be the weak point in the press. I tell people if you dont grease anything on the press make sure you grease the perfector. To replace the perfector can cost you up to $40,000 depending on the type of press. When buying used you are also buying what could be someone elses nightmare. Make sure you have a qualified tech with you to ensure the integrity of the perfector. There are alot of mechanics out there that claim to be perfector experts but I have seen otherwise. Also the age of the machine will determine what type of perfector you will get ie fully manual, semi automatic, and fully automatic. If you can stick with the semi or fully automatic perfectors.

Chrome cylinders. Again not a must. But, if the machine does not have chrome or nickle plated cylinders its probably a pretty old machine. I think all machines 10 years and newer no longer have cast iron cylinders, i dont know exaclty when they changed over so dont quote me on that. It will be difficult to check the condition of the cylinders if the press has a perfector because the impression cylinders after the perfector will have a jacket and this jacket needs to be removed to correctly check the cylinder which will likely then need a new jacket. Removing the jacket often times damages the jacket.

Autoplate. In my opinion it is a must. Very low maintaince. Huge increase in productivity with autoplate. If you can get a press with it than do it.

CPC versions. version 1.04 is a much better cpc, more control and options. I can write a book here.

Alchohol dampning. Unless you are getting a machine from the 80s it will have alcolor dampning. Trust me you dont want conventional dampning, and I dont think you would want a press that would have it.

If you need more details on any of these topics let me kmow and I will see what I can come up with for you. Hope this helps