Loss of pressure on CD74

Discussion in 'Heidelberg Printing Presses' started by Dave Wolf, Nov 7, 2016.

1. Dave Wolf

Dave Wolf Member

We recently has a slight loss of pressure on our 2010 CD74. We went from 16 mils. under the blanket to 18 mils. Any ideas?

2. turbotom1052

turbotom1052 Senior Member

are you relying on what the packing has printed on it or are you measuring it with a micrometer?

3. Dave Wolf

Dave Wolf Member

When printing a dot screen on any substrate, we get a mottled effect when using 16 mil packing. Back in the beginning of 2016 this wasn't the case. By putting 18 mil. under the blanket, the effect dissappears. This leads me to believe that there is a lack of contact between the plate and the blanket. We mesured with a packing gauge and with 18 mil. the squeeze is spot on..(?) Kind of strange. It could be just the new plates we're using, Aquasolve or something like that, they're not developped.

4. mantman

mantman Senior Member

Could the plates be under 0,30 mm say 0,28 hence the change of squeeze?

5. Dave Wolf

Dave Wolf Member

It is what I suspect. There is also the fact that the automatic water purge on the air compresser wasn't doing its job. I opened the valves manually and proceeded to wash the floor with the water that came gushing out.

6. Dave Wolf

Dave Wolf Member

We've been using the same box of packing since the beginning, no, I haven't measured it yet.

7. mantman

mantman Senior Member

Did you try dry solid breakaway? Could be jacket issue and not squeeze of plate/blanket

8. aqazi81

aqazi81 Senior Member

If its a straight press than it wont be a jacket issue, as turbotom mentioned you must measure packing with micrometer to get better idea.

9. exheidmech

exheidmech Senior Member

Does your problem go away when you increase back cylinder pressure? Maybe confirm that the pressure between blanket and impression cylinder is ok. Very quick and easy check. Set paper thickness to .10mm, put unit on impression and use a long .35mm feeler (.014"). You should be able to slip the feeler between blanket bearer and impression cylinder with a heavy drag.

10. Dave Wolf

Dave Wolf Member

We tried increasing the pressure, but it changed nothing. Be it offset or coated stock, the result is the same. Since I added 2 mil. squeeze, the problem has gone away. Although we haven't changed the packing on the coater so I noticed we have to increase the pressure a bit more in that head compared to the other units. Definitely something screwy here.

11. Dave Wolf

Dave Wolf Member

I think were it a jacket issue, the squeeze would be uneven, a contour around the 25 in. format. This is not the case.