Looking to buy First Offset Press (B2 Format)

Discussion in '4-Color Offset Presses +' started by gamble, Sep 28, 2022.

1. gamble

gamble New Member

Hi guys, I think I joined this forum around 16 years ago but can't seem to find my old posts.

Anyway, basically I have an on/off history of being a graphic designer and running a little studio. For years, when I've had to I've outsourced my (offset) printing - but the time has come for me to try take this in-house.

Why? In the UK since Brexit, prices rises have really kicked in and makes it uncompetitive for me to outsource my print. Also I have plans on making my own publications so will have use for a press. I have also had designs stolen/copyright theft when using 3rd parties which is annoying and I don't have time to follow complaints.

I am a complete novice to the machinery and technical process of offset printing. I understand design, platemaking, colour theory etc so I'm still willing to learn - hey we did all start somewhere and when you have a family and hungry mouths to feed you either learn to sink or swim pretty fast.

Worryingly, when I've spoken about it with some colleagues, I've been told printing is dead (which I disagree with as I still know of enough work) and that big heavy presses are a thing of the past - how far have digital presses come along? I'm still looking at for example, print runs of 20k-50k for designs like A3 FOLDED menu printouts... I still don't see how digital can be cost effective for these? I'd love it to be as I'd be more comfortable with digital printing and have experience on that side but for distribution I really need longer print runs.

I'm comfortable with the business side of things, eg, finding an industrial unit and setting up - it's just advice for what press to go for and the operations side of the business I need some advice on.

I'd appreciate any advice, I'm still starting out so still trying to find repair guys and support stuff in the UK.

Any thoughts appreciated, thank you.

2. Adil

Adil Senior Member

Your are welcome ,sir

3. Morten Christensen

Morten Christensen Member

You have to be very committed to do this.. Have you also considered all the postpress stuff? Digital presses in B2 format are still too expensive.
    I would get my feet wet with some kind of Digital B3 press first andt then take it from there.
    We run a couple of B3 indigo and we love the quality. We also have a couple of KBA 74 Karat DI B2 offset presses 4+varnish, nice, compact, easy and cheap and good quality presses (but everyone hates them except us ;) )
    Should I do it all over again I would start with the Indigo and the the KBA karat, but I guess I'am biased..

4. turbotom1052

turbotom1052 Senior Member

Would you expect that the printing be multicolor, as in 4/c process? If so I would suggest that to take such a deep dive you would want to hire someone with considerable experience. If all your looking at is single color or perhaps black and a PMS color, then the learning curve is greatly reduced. To be able to print quality 4/c process in a cost efficient manner, you will not be able to substitute technology, ambition and willingness to learn, for experience!!! Ive seen time and time again company owners that feel that the investment in technology will negate the need for hiring a journeyman quality press person. Admittedly the current technology will allow for a less experienced pressman to print most of your work, but what happens when a problem arises, which is often? If you can't staff you multicolor press with a top notch pro, then I would at least have a consultant of sorts that you can call on when your pressman promoted off of the broom gets himself in trouble. To think that you can just come here and have forum members bail you out, would be an overestimation of the abilities of this venue.

Last edited: Oct 31, 2022