laser printing on top of digital print

Discussion in 'Xerox Color Laser Printers & Color Copiers' started by fiftyguy, Jul 14, 2009.

1. fiftyguy

fiftyguy New Member

Newbie question. We are researching a xerox 242. However we need to print a product that our customers will customize by using a laser printer.

However, we have been told the heat generated from the printer will eventually pull off/distort/effect the digital prints.

Comments on this? If correct, is there a work-a-round for this? A coated paper or coating process which would avoid this problem?

Thanks

2. Jeff

Jeff Senior Member

One sided or two sided prints?

Matte or gloss stock?

On ours we don't have any problem running the reverse side of color prints printed on the 242 on 20#-28# bond, or printing over the color side even. If overprinting, the 242 print does get more shiny though when running through the other machine.

However, I found that I can't print the reverse side of things I've printed in enhanced gloss mode on kromekote gloss or else the hotter fuser of the other machine will ruin the finish of the 242-printed gloss because the 242's toner melts at a pretty low temperature compared to other/older color lasers and compared to bw lasers. I guess printing on the reverse side the other machine doesn't take as much care with the side opposite the print so it tends to streak the 242's previously applied print finish on the way out of the second machine. I can actually print the front side overprinting, but the gloss quality changes (gets glossier/shiner even and also darker.)

3. c-print@pacbell.net

c-print@pacbell.net New Member

I was printing a sample letterhead on 20# bond on my 242 (heavy coverage). I then ran it through my brother MFC laser printer (that I use for invoicing). I was having issues with the brother melting the toner and tracking back onto the sheet. To answer your question, yes this could be an issue.