Komori Lithrone Varicam

Discussion in 'Komori Printing Presses' started by Ezequiel, Jun 5, 2009.

1. Ezequiel

Ezequiel Member

It seems the software of my varicam is corrupted where can i fix this?

2. klecman

klecman Senior Member

You will need the Varicam manual and timing specification sheet for your press. Years ago, there was a problem with some of the varicams which required replacement and re-programming. The problem would usually occur during a semi-automatic plate change. You should be able to get the manual from Komori if you do not have one but the programming is a bit tricky the first time you do it. Best to get an experienced Komori electrical technician, but you can figure it out with trial and error (and the book). Try reprogramming it first and if the settings will not hold, it will need to be replaced. Programming is a lengthy procedure especially if you have semi or fully automatic plate changers. It's been several years since I've done one so I would have to have one in front of me to refresh my memory. Perhaps there is someone else on the board with more recent knowledge. I could offer some help with specific questions but you will need both the book and timing specifications.

If you have the timing specs, perhaps you could get someone at Komori USA or one of the dealers to pre-program one and send it to you. I have programmed them before installing, then all you need to do is to set the encoder to match the Varicam position display to the angle of the press as shown on the timing wheel.

It is rare but also possible that the problem is with the encoder or the cable connection.

Last edited: Jun 8, 2009
  3. Ezequiel

Ezequiel Member

Well i dont know how to explain this but the varicam didnt turn on so i send it to UK they made it turn on but it dosent store the info it seems. Let me try the machine is a Komori Lithrone from 1989-1991

4. Ezequiel

Ezequiel Member

It gives an error it seems the firmware is corrupted what can i do?

5. klecman

klecman Senior Member

The firmware is the Varicam's operating system and if corrupted, I do not believe you can buy the firmware without buying a new Varicam. It seems you know how to program the timing settings but they will not stay in memory if the firmware is corrupted. I would contact the person in the UK who repaired it.

What model Varicam is it and what is the error code?

6. Ezequiel

Ezequiel Member

I did contact them, they say they only repaired the hardware of the varicam. and they can not fix the software they charge me around $700UK by the way some buttons dosen`t turn on... here is some info of the varicam

Type: VS-6-P-1 . 1-S02
    Sensor: VRE-P028,P062
    S/N: 05902191
    Cable:Max S100 (m)

7. klecman

klecman Senior Member

Are you getting an error code? If so, what is it? Or do you just see broken numbers on the LED display?

Why do you believe there is a frimware problem?

Do you have the book and understand how to program it?

I have to have all the details to be able to help you.

The buttons not working could be caused by a firmware problem or confusion about how to set the parameters. With the highly technical devices, it is best to deal directly with Komori. They may charge a little more but they will solve your problem.

I don't understand why the company who repaired it, did not test it before sending it back to you.

8. Ezequiel

Ezequiel Member

9. klecman

klecman Senior Member

You must answer my questions or I cannot help you. What LED shows the "u" and what is displayed on the other LEDs?

Why do you believe there is a frimware problem?

Do you understand how to program the Varicam?

10. Ezequiel

Ezequiel Member

We just installed it and it dosent turn on where can i send this unit to be fixed

11. klecman

klecman Senior Member

I do not know of anyone who repairs them. Komori USA has one left in stock so I would recommend calling them and ordering it. Otherwise, you will need to have a VS-5 installed along with an upgrade kit because the VS-6 is no longer available through Komori.

12. Ezequiel

Ezequiel Member

We just got the varicam turned on here are some pics with the display what can be wrong the machine dosent move

Attached Files:

13. Ezequiel

Ezequiel Member

Well it seems the varicam changes the display everytime it turns on, other times it dosent even turn on here is another pic

Attached Files:

14. klecman

klecman Senior Member

I see that the encoder cable is not plugged in. Turn off the press, connect the encoder cable and turn the press back on. Does the display change?

Turn the key to "Run". Is there any change in the display. If so, please post a picture of the front panel showing the LED display.

Turn the key to "Set" - does the display change? Post a picture if it does.
    Turn the key to "Parameter" - post a picture if the display changes.

15. Ezequiel

Ezequiel Member

It seems the varicam dosent stay on and everytime it turns on the display changes. Wich one is the encoder cable?

16. Meny

Meny Senior Member

700 $ is cheap

it is cheap comparing to the damage you can have by doing the wrong things.
    unless this is what gives you the "kick" , stop , do not play with it , get a pro to do the job. in the long & short run it will be cheaper.
    you can not fix a system if you have no knowledge on how it works!
    what country are you in ?
    I can send some one to you if you want

17. klecman

klecman Senior Member

I agree. From the symptoms, it appears that the problem may be in the encoder. But even if you can get it working it will probably have to be programmed and that will take specialized knowledge. If you do not have the timing sheet for the press, you will need to get one either from Komori or someone with a similar press.

You can only confirm that the problem is in the encoder by substituting a known good one but it is best to just turn the problem over to a Komori technician.

I would still like to know what happens on the display when the encoder cable you have is plugged into the VS-6.

18. Ezequiel

Ezequiel Member

I see, Meny how much will it cost to bring a tech here to Dominican Republic, Santo Domingo?

19. Meny

Meny Senior Member

I am not trying to sell my services

if you add the cost to fly from Miami & back to a one day on site and the needed parts (i would go for refurbished parts - not new) you will get your cost/ do you have no Komori or other printing electric engineer arround ?
    could cost you less from a local proffesional guy

if you still want i can send you an offer by e-mail (will need your address)

20. KOMORI DEMONSTRATOR

KOMORI DEMONSTRATOR KOMORI DEMONSTRATOR

Hi you could try contacting Crabtree & Hill on 00 44 1274 393298 or email enquiries@crabtree-hill.co.uk i am sure they will be able to help you.

Kind Regards.
    K.D