Komori 226L and 20pt stock

Discussion in 'Komori Printing Presses' started by steveo, Mar 28, 2010.

1. steveo

steveo Senior Member

Hello Everyone

I have 5 skids of 20 pt 19x26 stock scheduled for next week , any tips? infeed would have to be re-set ? grippers? if it were any other press I wouldnt think twice about it we run a lot of 24 pt on the Heidelbergs , Rolands and Mitsus but Im still fairly new to the Komori and I think I recall some concerns in a thread about running 20pt....otherwise this press is running very well , holds color well , good sheet register etc etc....Im not sure if this is a one pass job , if so I may use a heavier grain powder but Im mostly interested in getting it going.....so please any help would be appreciated:)

Steve

2. USAPressmen.com

USAPressmen.com Senior Member

I ran 18pt on my 1987 626 and i didnt do sh*t to the grippers or anything else.. didnt have any problem. Although dont take my advice on not doing anything lol. At that particular time of running that press/job, i just didnt give a crap about it and the press was already pretty beat up before me anyways.

3. steveo

steveo Senior Member

Actually I was thinking Id just do that...see how it goes...

4. steveo

steveo Senior Member

well the stock is really curly , not good and its C1S , I got the sheets to feed ok but its pulling out of the delivery grippers or transfer grippers , anyway I have a service call in for tomorrow to see whats up with that , its a mess right now and the stock being curly aint gonna help......

5. kmoimt

kmoimt Member

You need to set your swing gripper to 0.5 on the dial you see on the opside it has a small set screw lock on it and use a 10mm wrench to turn and also the transfer cylinders pad heights need to be changed to .5 on both sides of the cylinder your manual shows how to do both these adjustments.There is a ridge close to the lead edge on the transfer cylinder that you will see emboss on the sheet if you print too thick a sheet without changing the adjustment.

6. steveo

steveo Senior Member

Yes I did see that setting on the swing gripper , thanks...and I also did get that embossed line you mentioned so Ill make those adjustments , unfortunatley I cant do anything about the curl in the paper so its gonna be a ***** to run.....I am supossed to have a service guy show up today , thanks for the info!

Steve

7. dannyboy

dannyboy Member

If this is an older Komori , you should have some nylon wheels (ours are blue) that hold the lead edge of the board down flat as it goes into the swing arm. Also you will need to make sure you hold the sheet below the one being guided securely or the sheet being pulled by the side guide will try to pull the one below it out of square, which causes a trip off by the front eyes.We also adjust the swing arm setting and the transfers. If the board is thicker , you will also need to watch out for the front hooks being too low.

8. RichardK

RichardK Senior Member

20pt? Duh?! I'm a Brit, so I have to work in µm's. At +400µm or thereabouts you have the interunit transfer pad bar height to set.

If the stock isn't pulling up to the sidelay securely then there's a rougher portion of the segmented sidelay 'shoe' under the feedboard. It's a 4 or 5mm cap screw, loosen and move the segment to the 'rough' position - you may need to increase sidelay spring tension or even change the spring for a stronger one.

With all these mechanical alterations DON'T forget to change them back again as soon as you've done the job. Good luck soldier!

9. steveo

steveo Senior Member

thank you both , I reset the swingarm grippers etc....its been running great and holding perfect sheet register!....as far as going back to paper we tried to set it up to run both with the adjustments we made and its seemed to work out well....Ive run over 200,000 impressions on the 20 pt so far and nooooo problems except the cutter cant keep up with me ...thanks again......

Steve ( chairman of the board)