Is it possible to change a 6 color speedmaster 72S to a 5 or 4 color press

Discussion in 'Heidelberg Printing Presses' started by pressmachines, Dec 10, 2013.

1. pressmachines

pressmachines Member

Hi,

Can anyone help. Is it possible. I want to remove 2 units of my SM 72S 6 color with alcolor cpc model without cptronic (straight press without perfector ) to either a 5 or 4 color. Because I never run 6 color work and very rarely 5 colors and I really need the space. Many say its possible but don't know how to do it. Have confirmed that it has been done before on a 8 color SM 102 with cptronic.

Hope to hear from the Heidelberg Expert Mechanics out there soonest.

Thanks in advance.

2. Bill Borcicky

Bill Borcicky Senior Member

Have you given any thought to possibly selling your machine and buying a press you want? The work involved and costs, would compare to actually trading your machine for another. ( possibly even for a newer model ) ??

3. pressmachines

pressmachines Member

Hi Bill,

I am located here in the Philippines, so trading it is not really an option, the machine still runs good, registration is also good for coated thin paper at 60lbs. also I am thinking I can keep the 2 units also for spare parts. Talk to my electrician he says he is 100% sure he can fix the wiring. So the only problem is mechanical, mechanics here says its the matter of getting the right units and removing the gears and installing the gears to the right units.

4. aqazi81

aqazi81 Senior Member

Its possible and I know a print shop where a friend of mine has done this to their 6 color 102 by removing the perfecting unit and now its a 5 color.

5. aqazi81

aqazi81 Senior Member

Yes it is possible.

6. Bill Borcicky

Bill Borcicky Senior Member

I do think you are on the right track, I have found the wiring to be the headache. If you have good electricians then you should be able to conquer the task. The mechanics should go well as long as they take time to align the transfer between units.
    There are several expert mechanics on this forum. They usually check in every few days. I know they will be willing to help you out and or offer their services if needed. Try to run up enough work ahead of time, it usually takes a week to pull it apart and get her back running.