Image not adhering

Discussion in 'Xerox iGen3, iGen4, & iGen5 Digital Presses' started by Phylex, Mar 14, 2017.

1. Phylex

Phylex Member

I have an IGen5. I am using an 80lb gloss cover on a 44 stapled magazine with 60lb stock inside. The sheet size is 11x17 folded down to 8 1/2 x 11. The cover is very easily scratched and rubbed off the image which is a light green screen and a dark green bar across the bottom. We've run color maintenance and the sheets are fine, but on the same stock we are not holding the ink for even just handling purposes. Has anyone seen this?

2. CargoPantsMan

CargoPantsMan Senior Member

Are you running the cover on just blank stock? (Not offset shells or anything else?)
    Is the toner scratching off of both sides or just one?
    Does the toner only scratch off of one half of the stock (inboard - outboard)?

I've had some issues in the past with toner adhesion on gloss stocks, usually only on the second print side of duplex runs.
    Sometimes the coating on the stock is just bad and it's actually that rubbing off (and then therefore the toner).
    Sometimes the coating doesn't react well with the fuser oil, so on a duplex run, the second side doesn't adhere as well as the first.

A couple tricks I've had moderate success with is lowering the transfer/detack current for the stock quite a bit. I had a hotline tech tell me that sometimes the toner gets overcharged, so despite 400 degrees of heat and 50 pounds of pressure, the toner still doesn't stick to the stock.

I've also spent a good deal of time cleaning the pressure roll. Sometimes a fair layer of crud (paper dust + fuser oil = yuck) just accumulates on it, so either scrub it down really good or outright replace it. If that stuff is transferring to the stock on the first pass, it will interfere with the second pass.

Check your contact arc. Make sure it is within spec and balanced. I've sometimes, for shorter runs at least, cranked the contact arc up to 16mm just to get a little extra oomph on it (With varying results). This will wear the hell outta your fuser roll though if you do not return it to the 14.5mm spec!

3. wagsgraphx

wagsgraphx Member

We had problems with adhesion on Pacesetter stocks. Had to switch everything over to Endurance. Test some different brands. Even if it's a stock you've run before. The paper mills can change their formulation or manufacturing facility and not tell anyone.

4. Laserdrucker

Laserdrucker Member

Some one should start a thread with a list of paper stocks (Manufacture, Paper Name and Size) and iGen model they ran them on and what they experienced.

5. CargoPantsMan

I'll say now, after the morning I had, 26" 4mil Printers Edge flexible vinyl cut from a full size sheet does not work on an iGen150.

6. peels

peels tree killer :)

that would just be a list of all the stock I use.

all crap. but I have to find a way LOL

to the OP. yes seen it. can try to bump up substrate settings. check that your heater rollers arent caked with toner.

try running in EIP mode( so slow but can get you through til new paper arrives)

Had one recently our laser dept tried to print these variable cards on top of nearly full percentage coverage offset 8pt cover. dark green, or dark teal background. Had to send to me, out of 10 versions, i was only able to do about 75% of them. had to reprint a couple.

7. CargoPantsMan

I'm surprised that even worked for you at all. They sometimes try to throw imprint jobs on my iGen if our mono department is backlogged, but any job that has print on a heavy pre-printed area can't go on my Genny. It's like a Lotto scratcher.

Though I have to wonder why they even want black text on a heavy color area. It just blends in.

But that's assuming that any the stuff we send out like that doesn't just go from the mailbox directly to the recycling bin. :p

8. peels

peels tree killer :)

i wonder as well.

we did it the last few years, with same poor results. then keep doing it.... LOL