Help squaring backgauge on Polar 115 emc

Discussion in 'Cutters and Trimmers' started by CB_Polar 115, Mar 3, 2015.

1. CB_Polar 115

CB_Polar 115 New Member

I hope someone can help me with this. We have an old Polar 115 emc that we need to square the backgauge on. I was hoping that someone could point me in the right direction because quite honestly, my coworkers and I look like 3 monkeys trying to *&^% a doorknob at this point and we're no closer to getting this square than we were yesterday... the internet seems to have a hole in it where information regarding this procedure is concerned...

2. AOD_Daggs

AOD_Daggs Member

Typically there are 3 bolts on the Non-Op side of the backgauge. 2 out the sides and 1 out the top. The 2 on the sides are the ones you want. There is typically a nut that locks these bolts in place. Unlock these nuts while holding the bolts from turning I believe the Polar 115's use a 5mm Hex wrench in the end. As opposed to say a Saber that has Handles. So how this works is, you must turn one out in order to turn one in. So try loosening one and tightening the other one. This should move your backgauge. When you get your backgauge square, make sure both bolts are turned in snug and the nuts are locked back down. Let me know if you have questions. Again, this is on the TOP SIDE OF THE NON OP SIDE of the backgauge.

3. Renzo

Renzo New Member

Hi CB_Polar 115

I had posted a similar topic just few days ago.
    While finding a definitive solution (so by the moment), I have solved the problem by putting little pieces of thin paper between the comb and its bear back stop. It worked fine.
    Please, let me know if you get it.
    Thank you

4. CB_Polar 115

CB_Polar 115 New Member

Thanks for the quick replies. AOD_Daggs put me on to it. It all fell into place once I knew what each adjuster did. There are 4 screws total that serve to adjust the backgauge: one in the center that locks the backgauge down, and the three that AOD_Daggs spoke of. The one on the top adjusts the pitch of the backgauge while the two on the side operate as he said. There was someone monkeying around with it before I was asked to look at it and that made adjustment a nightmare. I used a magnetic laser level to project a beam along the cut table at the backgauge combs and that helped with the major adjustment and then I used a cut test to fine tune it. I lined a wide piece of paper along on side, made a cut, and then flipped the paper over and lined it up on the opposite to see how far off we still were. I think we've got it now though, so thanks!