Help! Docucolor 242 printing stretched output on 12 x 18 suddenly

Discussion in 'Xerox Color Laser Printers & Color Copiers' started by Jeff, Aug 29, 2009.

1. Jeff

Jeff Senior Member

Suddenly my docucolor 242 is printing stretched output when I print to 12x18 heavy1 or plain from either tray 6 (oversize high capacity feeder) or tray 5 (bypass tray.)

Oddly it started doing this on heavy1 only (but was fine on coated1 or plain1.) I thought it was an isolated glitch, but now tonight it is doing the same thing on plain1 (or custom1 set to the same weight as plain.) The output actually stretches off the 18" and the machine prints a second sheet to print the extra 25% onto the next sheet. A copy is fine, but a print is not.

It does the same thing printing from different apps including adobe reader from a pdf file.

Printing to 11x17 plain is still fine from the same trays.

My docucolor has the bustled fiery rip.

Any ideas?

2. Jeff

Jeff Senior Member

Out of ideas, I reapplied the three patches available on the xerox site and now it seems to be working again normally (crossing fingers). I had not changed the setting when I got the printer and auto-updates of the fiery RIP were enabled and I see there have been a few this month - I fear one of those auto-updates caused the problem as nothing else changed.

3. Jeff

Jeff Senior Member

I see there were around a dozen auto-updates that the fiery applied automatically to itself. I'm guessing it was the 7/10 auto-update 1-1275R4 "cumulative patch for field issues 1-1275R4 and 1-125RZU) though it could have been the 7-3 update 1-11FIR6 which sounds harmless "username displayed in CWS is different when printing from Command Prompt) -- those two seem to be in the right time period for when I first saw the glitch (though it was only for heavy1 paper I noticed it at the end of July.) Then on 8-29 I noticed it affecting plain as well which is weird how the glitch "spread." There were a trio of auto-updates on 8/28 1-130Y4Y "apache web server updated to remove network scan vulnerabilities", 1-12RJPQ "EFIGS Drivers for Constraint removed between A5 Pae size and Saddle Printing", and 1-12Y23V "Samba server update to 3.0.31".

For now I've turned off auto-updates as I'm not sure which one introduced this very significant glitch for me.