Heidelberg QMDI 46-4 Ink key issues

Discussion in 'DI Presses' started by John Brady, Oct 16, 2015.

1. John Brady

John Brady New Member

Hello everyone. I am new to this forum and this is my first post. Hopefully I can get some help on an issue.

Typically after burning plates the keys roughly set the needed values. This is where my problem began. After realizing how far off they where I tried closing the keys completely, but that was not working either. This is across all 4 units. The keys will move but do not do what you want them to do.

I talked to a Heidelberg tech who thought it could be a power issue. He told me to check fuses to see if any had tripped. One had tripped and I flipped the breaker to reset, but did not help.

One other issue which is random is when I make a key change it takes forever to make the change. Usually takes 15-20 seconds. Now randomly 4-5 minutes, but does not make the change correctly anyway.

Please help with any advice, Thanks

2. Paul Cavanaugh

Paul Cavanaugh Senior Member

A couple of questions...

1. What model DI is it? Classic, Plus or Pro?
    2. How many stored ink profiles to you have on the press?

I'll have more once I find out what ink fountain you have.

3. John Brady

John Brady New Member

Wow, really thought this would be a shot in the dark. thank you for responding. To my knowledge it's a Plus. Interestingly enough I can't find anywhere in the manuals or on the Machine what it actually is. I know it's not a Classic.

I'm not exactly sure how to answer the 2nd ? There are 26 jobs with ink profiles on the rip
    Also there are 12 keys or zones.

Hope this info helps

4. augustov

augustov Senior Member

Hi... you have a QMDi Plus ... when Paul asks you for ink profile ... is because there are several reasons .... first the machine has an option to calibrate the ink with the keigth curve, that as the this machine is running is adjusting ... but also influences calibrated has the inkwells. I can help, write me at my number +57 3016958869 whatsapp ... and help you in real ...

5. Paul Cavanaugh

It sounds as if you have a Plus model as you have 12 ink keys. If it has a Stream feeder it is a Pro. The Classic only has 8 keys.

The reason I asked how many profiles you have is because the machine can only store 75 or so on the harddrive before they take up too much space. Once this happens you can no longer remove the stored profiles through the GUI. This is because the GUI uses the harddrive for virtual memory. The result is the program can no longer send profiles to the ink keys because there is no room on the harddrive to calculate the settings. It starts to take longer and longer for the keys to set until finally they no longer set at all. You will have to use a bootdisk to manually remove the stored ink profiles from the DOS directory.

The other potential issue is from operators not taking the time to thoroughly clean the ink fountain each night. They wipe the ink over the front of the ink keys where it drips down on the metal protective shield and starts to get under the ink keys. Over time it builds up so much the keys can no longer open properly. If it is really bad they will not close either. In a worst case scenario when they realize this, there is an attempt made to remove the individual keys to clean under them. HUGE MISTAKE. Special tools are needed to remove the keys and reset them properly. Once removed it is nearly impossible to restore them to their proper settings without these tools.

A tool did come with the machine that allows you to gently lift all of the keys and remove the protective shield for cleaning. Although this does not help you clean the ink off the bottom of the keys if there is a large amount of ink on them. You will need an experienced technician to do this.

Hopefully this will give you some insight into the issues you may be facing.

Let me know if you have any questions.

6. John Brady

John Brady New Member

Well, with further digging it turns out that it is electrical. I removed the bottom covers from the fountains and discovered that mice have been chewing through the wires for the keys. We are replacing 9 of them. Hopefully nothing else shorted out or damaged because of this. Won't know until the parts come in. I will repost when everything is replaced.

Paul, do you know where I could get the tool kit to adjust the ink keys? There are a few keys that have not been setting properly over the past few years.

Thanks for all the info thus far. It has been very helpful.

7. qmdipress1

qmdipress1 WWW.QMDIPRESS.COM

we might have one that you can barrow give us a call.

8. Paul Cavanaugh

Did not see the "mice" issue... That is a new one.