Hamada E47.

Discussion in '1-Color and 2-Color Offset Presses' started by lantz_xvx, Aug 17, 2011.

1. lantz_xvx

lantz_xvx Senior Member

Hey all,

You've probably seen me posting a few things about the struggles I have with my AB Dick 9810. I'm looking at getting a new press, a Hamada E47. There are actually two different ones, one I found on Craigslist and the other on Ebay.

The one on Craigslist is coming from a guy who owns a shop, and is a two-color machine. It's got Big Feet suckers and a tempest dryer (that needs new heating elements, which I think are probably pretty expensive) and that press will probably need new rubber rollers on both heads. I've talked to the guy on the phone, and he seems nice but a little weird and the pictures he posted weren't that clear.

The one on Ebay is just a one color, but the pictures of it are much bigger and clearer. It's around the same price and the company has offered it for two different prices. For $1,850, they will ship the press "as-is", and for $2,000 they will turn the press on and test it (for a refundable $500 deposit).

My question to you all is: which one is worth it? I like the idea of the press being tested, as I live in Portland, OR and both presses are in Orange County, CA and I plan on having it shipped rather than renting a truck to go pick it up.

Although I would rather be able to run two colors in one pass rather than two. Additionally, how much do rollers cost for that thing? I heard a ballpark figure of around $500 from a friend of mine, which didn't sound terrible. But then I remembered that both of his E47s are one color. So would I be looking at $1,000 for new rubber rollers on both heads? And anyway, can I even find a plate punch for this thing?

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

- lantz.

2. FFR428

FFR428 Senior Member

E47 looks like a upgraded version of the old 880 CDX. 14x20 max sheet size. Uses the same old pull guide as the 880 CDX. I ran a new 880 CDX for many years and it was a love/hate relationship at best. 3 ink forms and 2 water forms on the main unit and would lay down a pretty decent solid. The second color head was really just a wide roll back version of the 660 head. I used to get bad streaking/tone lines and was a inherent problem from the start. The problem was somewhat corrected with some paper thin bass shims to level and dial in the 2nd color head and some rubber pads under the feet of the press. Never 100% perfect but good enough. The bearing on the pull guides would wear out pretty fast and need replacement every year or so. I hope they upgraded to a better more durable bearing there. I ended up using just 1 water form with a 3M sleeve and hyton cover on the water ductor on the main unit.

Now for your E47's I wouldn't buy any press sight unseen especially one where they want a $500 deposit to demo it. That's just crazy. And 2 color over 1 color wins my vote any time. There's just to many inherant problems due to bad operators and neglect over the years. However roller replacement is fairly easy but Hamada uses a strange form roller lock and lever system to drop the forms onto the plate. Replacement can be a pain until you know and understand how it works. When the rollers start to work themselves out it's time to service that. Also getting them setup and level is important. It's not a drop and run situation. The press overall is a decent machine. I really like the Hamada's but it may have a learing curve and some quirks like every press does. Running smaller sheets you get a bit of water buildup on the ends. If 11x17, 12x18 or 14x20 sheet work is your main gig it's a cheap press with good quality. The Big Foot suckers are good when they work but suck when they wear and get old.

Far as the plate punch it has the standard pin spacing as any other offset press. Metal plates are pre punched as you know but poly would need to be punched and any plate punch will work

3. lantz_xvx

lantz_xvx Senior Member

Thanks for the detailed response! I think the guy with the two-color is asking a little bit too much for it. The Craigslist ad said "make me an offer" and he's had offers as low as $500. I offered him $1,500 and originally he said he might be more comfortable with $2,000. Now he says $3,000 would make him feel better but to meet in the middle, he would take $2,500. But geez, at that price, by the time I ship the thing and put new rollers on both heads, I'm probably in it for $4,000, not to mention that it's got a tempest dryer that needs the heating elements replaced. Definitely too much, especially with it being sight unseen.

I may just hold off to see if another, more affordable Ryobi 3200 turns up. I would love a 3302 but am working out of a small garage and just don't have the space for it. They're also a bit more expensive to maintain, it seems, since it's a twin tower.

Does anyone at all think it would be worth it to put Kompacs or Crestlines on both heads of the AB Dick? Or would that just be a waste of money? My main issues with the AB Dick is the dampening system. Most other things about it are okay.

- lantz.

4. FFR428

FFR428 Senior Member

I have limited experience with the Crestlines. Have run a few that has issues and wasn't much fun. Those that have run well setup units really seem to like them. I do have extensive experience with the Kompacs and have run them on many small offset presses. Pretty much a no brainer and a very easy unit to use and repair if needed. AB dicks with the integrated water systems are a pain but have run a few that ran ok. I don't know how expensive the Kompacs are now but used to be $2000-3000 each. What kind of problems are you having with your water systems as is? Is there a T head on the press and if so are you running molleton covers or bareback rollers? What plates and solution are you using?

Good idea passing on the E47. Besides the cost of the press and transport there's always new parts you'll need and supplies as well. Keep it cheap and simple. You'll keep more money in your pocket that way. If you can find a older Hamada 660 before they went to speed invertors (clutch pulley and V belts) those are cheap easy workhorses. I always preferred the Multi and Hamada register board design compared to the direct feed Dicks.

5. lantz_xvx

lantz_xvx Senior Member

Thanks for the reply. I think Kompacs have come down a bit, especially if you find a well taken care of one that's used. But yeah, definitely pretty expensive. It's actually much cheaper just to get a different press, it seems, but it's a bit hard to come by presses that are good and affordable with minimal problems.

You can read all about my trials and tribulations with the Aquamatic in this thread:

http://www.colorprintingforum.com/2...r-contamination-ab-dick-9810-t-head-5264.html

It's not too exciting, but I'm hoping to get it dialed in. I would just have a lot less waste with a Kompac or a Crestline.