GTOZ registration between units

Discussion in '1-Color and 2-Color Offset Presses' started by socrates, Jul 17, 2007.

1. socrates

socrates Member

Ok, here we go. When I print a 2 or more color job on my GTOZ there is a difference in registration between the first and the second color. The difference is parallel to the paper travel and by experience I can say it is the paper spreading by the pressure and the water. The funny thing is that I do not have exceeding pressure settings, nor lots of water and on my older GTO 46 single color press the registration always goes perfect. I have the blanket underpackings perfectly by the book, so should I change them? And which way?

2. tommy-the-cat

tommy-the-cat New Member

Not sure if this helps, but I've had similar issues in the past. Do you have a direct to plate system? Pre-Press systems are not always our best friend. Check Grippers on Transfer Cylinders.

3. socrates

socrates Member

No, I'm sure the prepress is not an issue here, but I will check the transfer cylinders though I dont believe it's that kind of matter. The paper seems to be spreading rather than changing position as it would in such a case. So the question remains.

4. m_alatorre

m_alatorre Senior Member

Does the image "grow" equal lateral and vertical? if yes, your paper is growing. That can happen even though you're using little water(because any paper exposed to more than 35% of room humidity can and will grow)

Is image growing more vertically than lateral? Try reducing blanket packing in the unit that is getting bigger (that will "shorten" the image) Even when you pack both units the same, blankets can vary in widht and therefore change the image size. For that purpose we bought a packing gauge. You can get it on ebay for 400 or 500 US.

I've done that in a SORMZ and worked very well. Just got a GTOz and will see if my advice works. Remember that the book works great with a new machine. Packing older machines can need a little bit more than the book.

Hope that helps!

5. socrates

socrates Member

Thank you for your replys. It is true that the packings should be changed by experimentation. It is time to change a the first unit blanket so I will also change the packing. I will let you know of the results.

6. turbotom1052

turbotom1052 Senior Member

when changing print lenghth the packing under the plate needs to be adjusted first. once thats established you adjust the packing of the blanket accordingly. finally your back cylinder pressure

7. mrheidelberg

mrheidelberg Senior Member

turbotom1052,

There is no plate packing under a GTO plate.

Regards.

8. Mechanic

Mechanic Senior Member

ΟΚ

If you get register in the front but not in the back of the sheet , then the paper is spreading. If you Print long grain, check gripper closing time on impression cylinder 1. If you dont get register in the front of the sheet, check your plate clamps and grippers on impression cylinder and 1st transfer cylinder.

9. 4 color GTO

4 color GTO Member

Packing and or blanket can be old and distorted. Measure your packing and blanket with a mic. get them the same.

10. KGM

KGM Senior Member

Have the same problem on my gto, for most jobs its not an issue. Anything with a tight fit i just put two sheets of the tissue that comes with the plates behind the plate on unit 1.
    Works fine.
    You could also slightly reduce the blanket packing on unit 2.

11. superteto

superteto Previous User