GTO paper feed adjustment

Discussion in 'Heidelberg Printing Presses' started by SAICPRINT, Sep 17, 2015.

1. SAICPRINT

SAICPRINT Member

I recently replaced a worn feed gripper with original Heidelberg replacement part,
    the paper feeds fine however it is triggering the missing sheet detector when
    on impression, I believe the sheet is not completely covering the holes on
    the fingers (pic attached). Is there an adjustment to allow sheet to travel further
    into grippers? (GTO single color 1981)

Thanks, any advice appreciated.

Attached Files:

2. junker1984

junker1984 Senior Member

The traveling feed grippers are not usually "plug and play". After replacement, you have to make sure they are square on the pad area, and that they are closing at the same time, this accomplished by bending them a bit, one way or another. This is just a rough idea on what to look for after replacement, as there are a number of steps in properly replacing them. Some of those steps are not always necessary, unless you run into problems, such as you're having. And, as long as there was no issue prior to exchanging the grippers, there would be no reason to change anything else, ie..the amount of sheet in the grippers. Do I see in your pic that the hole is covered on gear side but not operator side?

3. SAICPRINT

SAICPRINT Member

Well the history of press I'm not sure how it was running, in a previous
    thread you explained how to set grippers and it worked great for awhile
    but the tube had a deep groove from the springs and I decided to replace.
    With the replacement gripper the sheet sits at the edge before the hole (toward delivery side) on bottom fingers.
    I assumed the sheet would reach further into the pad.

The only way I'm able to run it with the missing sheet being operational is
    by lowering the air pressure going to the sheet detector piston as to not
    smash up the blanket.

As far as registration, timing, delivery it works great, no comparison to the duplicators I have been working on.

Thanks for your help Junker

4. junker1984

junker1984 Senior Member

Did you replace the traveling feed gripper head with original Heidelberg part? Did the locating pins line up? If the feed gripper assembly is good, keep in mind that when you put on new gripper fingers, you don't have to focus on lining up the holes. Move the grippers forward, you may find only 1/2 of the hole in pad is visible. Make sure they're closing at the same time.

5. SAICPRINT

SAICPRINT Member

Yes, I originally purchased a knock off part which was totally off, the part I have now was ordered directly from heidelberg, the whole assembly.
    The only difference from the original part was an added spring which is attached to the actual swing arm, the grip is strong and the fingers seem to be flat but
    I will try moving them forward and bending when I get back to the shop. I assumed the fingers were set at factory from my last post, my ooops.
    thanks again.

6. Rajeshlks

Rajeshlks New Member

Hi first block both hole with small piece of sticker and check whether it's triggering miss sheets then check pneumatic pipe leakage