Getting into DI offset printing

Discussion in 'DI Presses' started by mpsolutions, Apr 2, 2012.

1. mpsolutions

mpsolutions Member

Hi everyone,
    I am trying to get into DI offset printing to diversify my printing business. Lately times have been hard in offset printing and we need to get into short run process work as well. I need help to chose between QMDI- Pro and RYOBI 3404 DI (pros & cons). Also, there is not much service where we are for these type of presses. Do they require some special servicing very often, or we can get around with general maintenance and consumables. your advice will be very much appreciated.

2. Harry Seaward

Harry Seaward New Member

I've never run the QMs but I have 8 years of 3404 experience on two different machines and I can say that it is one of the most trouble-free and easy maintenance machines I've ever run. I'm pretty mechanically inclined so I try to fix whatever I can before calling a tech out, but even still, the worst thing that's happened in the 5 years on the current machine is 3 ink key motors have gone out. They are easy to replace and only cost about $250 if you buy them from a 3rd party online (as opposed to $800 from Ryobi).

If you run the machine 40 hours a week or less, plan to spend 2-4 hours a week on maintenance (not including replenishing consumables).

It goes without saying on whatever machine you get, make sure you ghost the hard drive on the press and RIP computers at least once when you get everything set up. I had a crash on the console computer and was back up and running in the amount of time it took to go to the store to buy a hard drive, install it and restore the ghost image - less than 2 hours.

My biggest complaint on the 3404 is the push guide. We do foil and embossing work and the registration is not 100% on a portrait sheet. If we run 1/2-size in landscape, however, it's as near to 100% as makes no difference. If there are no post processes that require tight registration, it's a moot point.

3. qmdipress

qmdipress Senior Member

I was recently in casablanca to help someone with a QMDI install. I would like to talk to you. Email me your phone number.
    WWW.QMDIPRESS.COM
    201-264-1553