Feeder problem. Help need imediately.

Discussion in 'DI Presses' started by dimaster, May 25, 2012.

1. dimaster

dimaster Member

Hi everyone.
    Problem is in that i can t adjust the angle of paper that goes in macshine.
    Angle is always between 324 to 328 degrees. Maybe sometimes 323 or 329.
    We try everything, cleaning and adjust on the double sheet sensor, 3/2 way valve, try different types of paper and i dont know what, paper separators and everything else. Maschine cant start printing. Maschine is QM DI 46-4 PLUS (1999 model).
    Any ideas...???

2. Paul Cavanaugh

Paul Cavanaugh Senior Member

The sheet advance knob is what controls the timing of the sheet hitting the grippers head stops. (They are built into the gripper bars on a QMDI Plus and Classic.) When you adjust this it should alter your timing as to when the sheet passes the sheet detector.

3. dimaster

dimaster Member

Hi Paul
    Thank you for replay
    But please, can you be more specific, i thik that i understand you but not completly.
    You think that the problem is in grippers ???
    Griper bars on the main cylinder ???
    Thank you again !!!

4. Paul Cavanaugh

I do not think the problem is in the main gripper bars, unless you have had a bad jam and damaged one of the bars.

On the left side of the inside of your feeder there is an indicator which shows your sheet advance timing in + or -. Moving that advances or retards the time in which the sheet hits the grippers. 80 to 100lb stock typically runs around -2.

5. dimaster

dimaster Member

Hi Paul
    Like i said Paul, i adjust the feeder timing but i get the angle between 323 and 329.
    The sheet goes too late in machine, The maximum i can get close to 320 is 323.
    We try everything.
    We check the gripper bars and they look very well, and the bearings are OK.
    We check the gears and all mechanic stuff for feeder and everything looks OK
    I suspect maybe is the sensor malfunction???
    Thanks ;)

6. Marc Bremer

Marc Bremer Senior Member

Did you took out the plate that holds the sensor. I myself had it once after cleaning the plate and placed it back I noticed it can be moved a little bit. Also replacing the sensor failed, it didn't seated well.

7. dimaster

dimaster Member

Hi Marc
    First i try was moving plate that holds the sensor.
    But Machine stops during printing and not start again.
    I dont know what could be.

8. Paul Cavanaugh

Marc's comment was going to be my next suggestion. If the guide plate in which the sensor is mounted is incorrectly installed it could cause problems. It is important to make sure the spring clip which holds the sensor in place is not bent and holds the sensor flat to the guide plate. If the sensor is up on an angle it will not read correctly.

Also look at the sensor with a flashlight and make sure there are no hairline cracks or scratches in the lens, it will defract the light and give false readings.

9. Marc Bremer

what happened before, you ran into problems.

10. dimaster

dimaster Member

Hi Marc
    i don t understand your question...

11. Marc Bremer

What I meant to say, did you made any changes to you machine just before the problems started.

12. dimaster

dimaster Member

hi Marc
    No, i didn t made changes. Machine stops during printing and after still didn t start.
    I dont have idea what could happened.

13. Marc Bremer

Can you print with one station, for example only on black and other colosr switched off.

14. jan

jan Senior Member

Hi Stole, you don't tell the whole story and you cause people quite a headache for nothing.
    I've told you one week ago per phone, that after paper jam in delivery your zero position of the press is moved and you need service.
    It's not the issue you could solve on forum. You need tools and knowhow.
    Jan

15. offset005

offset005 Member

hi i give you a short trick ...just every time when u run feeder , take off 1 sheet from the feeder , i hope ur machine will not stop.

16. dimaster

dimaster Member

Hi Jan
    What do you mean, i don t tell the whole story.
    And i cause a headache for nothing. Jan please don t get me wrong,but i just search for opinion.
    I just want to explore the problem and be sure before we call service.
    Thanks for understanding.

17. dimaster

dimaster Member

Maybe that is your way to solve problems.

18. jan

jan Senior Member

I mean what I wrote. When you write on the forum nothig has changed on the press but suddenly it doesn't work, everybody is looking for the strange reasons.
    You should write that it's happend after a paper jam. It was my first question on you during your call. You know the reason since long time but, you don't belive me and you are looking for new inputs.
    Jan

19. Paul Cavanaugh

If the press did have a jam as Jan stated, there is a very realistic possibility of the actual mechanical press "zero" position being out of time with the digital press "zero" position provided by the encoder. This is indeed important information to have when trying to troubleshoot feeder related problems. If the two "zero" positions do not match the press will not feed sheets at all.

This situation can only be remedied by a technician who has the proper tools to reconcile the two "zero" positions.

20. Bill Borcicky

Bill Borcicky Senior Member

Feeder trouble?

The QMDI 46-4 which I run requires a setting of 320.8 for good feed. I usually set it around 320.6 for a smoother run. I am guessing you have already checked your sucker feet, one problem I had run into a few times already is vacuum lines around the pump itself leaking and needed to be replaced. the pump filter may need cleaning or changed , depending how much starch or powder is on the paper.