Fanout MO

Discussion in 'Heidelberg Printing Presses' started by swilson513, Dec 10, 2009.

Tags:
  1. swilson513

swilson513 Member

Is there anyway to control fan out other then using paddles or the sheet compensator on a 1993 MO. Were running 80lb sterling matte with light coverage and are having fan out of 2 rows of dots (4 total) across the 25" sheet. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

2. NotAGooner

NotAGooner Senior Member

Are you using long grain?

3. exheidmech

exheidmech Senior Member

If you have a perfector it could be contributing to your fanout if its not in good shape. If you dont have a perfector, or its in good shape you have to remember that there is a reason why a sheet compensator was standard equipment on an MO.

4. swilson513

swilson513 Member

No perfector and yes the paper is long grain.

5. exheidmech

exheidmech Senior Member

I would say you need to rebuild your sheet compensator. Its pretty easy to do, you probably can do it yourself.

6. swilson513

swilson513 Member

How can I tell if it needs rebuilt? I think I remember seeing them rebuild it before. Does it look like a bolt with a small roller bearing on it?

Thanks

7. exheidmech

exheidmech Senior Member

I guess the simplest way to test it is to use it. There are two different types of compensators, one labeled 0 to 5 and one labeled -2 to +3, both are the same. Put the compensator on 0 or -2 and print. Then put it on 5 or +3 and print. You should see a pretty noticable difference, if not, your compensator need to be replaced.

8. tracyHANCOCK94@YAHOO.COM

tracyHANCOCK94@YAHOO.COM New Member

try running your brushes at the inside of the sheet center near the grip and loosen the tension on your metal wheels.

9. turbotom1052

turbotom1052 Senior Member

i think it should be noted that when you get your compensator fixed you need to make sure you put it back to zero when your not needing the compensator to compensate

10. exheidmech

exheidmech Senior Member

This is a good point. It also should be noted that if you have the compensator with a dial that goes from -2 to +3, that the actual "0" is in the -2 position. If you are in the 0 position you are actually still putting pressure on the gripper bar.

11. 6colorchuck

6colorchuck Member

Fanout

I'm also having an issue with fanout on a 88 MO - new blankets, minimal pressure, tried to adjust compensator (didnt seem to make any difference)... But what are these "paddles" you spoke of? Also running 80# matte...

12. junker1984

junker1984 Senior Member

Sheet smoothers, more than likely. Sheet has to be introduced to the infeed without any buckles or bowing, or you'll end up with the flare that's mentioned.

13. 6colorchuck

6colorchuck Member

I have sheet smoothers,but I thought those were only to flatten out the sheet to get it to get under the headstops... so... apply more pressure to drive the center of the sheet into the headstops?