Epson Workforce DWF-7715 - cartridges not recognised - what to do?

Discussion in 'Small Format Inkjet Printers' started by peterspiano, Jan 19, 2022.

1. peterspiano

peterspiano New Member

Hi there,

My 2.5 year old Epson Workforce DWF-7715 (A3/11”x17”) was recently having difficulty printing in color - ghostlike quality. I did a ‘Print Head Cleaning’ about 10 times and wasn’t making any progress - quality looked about the same.

I bought a ’liquid printer head cleaning set solution’ and followed the instructions meticulously. (JETlifetech ISO9001 and ISO10004 standard https://amzn.to/3GMDP9C ) 1ml liquid into each individual print head via the syringe/silicone-hose. Each time 1 hour to let the solution set in. I placed a new paper-kitchen-towel folded up underneath the print carriage for each one of the 4 head-cleaning procedures. Each time the paper towel was quite stained, but didn’t seem to be overly wet - ie did a good job soaking up the solution/ink.

Once finished, I violently shook up (figured they’re a few years old, best give them a good shake up) 4 new cartridges and then installed them: not recognised. I thought: let the excess liquid dry, the foam tray under the cartridge carriage had a bit of excess moisture, so I opened up the scanner cover and let the insides dry up overnight.

In the morning I then moderately shook up another full new set a little and installed them: not recognised. I cotton-swab cleaned the print heads with a bit of rubbing alcohol, checked that the pins on the card-reader for the cartridges were not damaged - they seem to be fine. I even cleaned the chips on the cartridges with rubbing alcohol, which I think was not necessary since they were new.

Out of curiosity, I put in the last working cartridges which are now practically empty: RECOGNISED! I did a few print-heaed-cleaning rounds, although I doubt it did much good since the cartridges were pretty much empty.

So then I tried a 3rd set of new cartridges and didn’t shake them up at all. Still: “Ink Cartridge is not recognised. Please replace the Ink Cartridge. BK 27/XL/XXL, C 27XL, M 27XL, Y 27XL”. I’ve been using this one brand/box of non-OEM cartridges with no problems (Tito-Express Platinum Serie https://bit.ly/3nFB1Un ). Is 2.5 years too old for cartridges?

I’m going to try another brand of non-oem compatible printer cartridges which seem to have a slightly different chip on the side. Maybe the newer ink will do the trick? Otherwise the only logical conclusion is that this print cleaning solution has damaged my printer!

I do print quite a bit, so even at the risk of damage non-OEM cartridges seem to make sense (OEM is costly!). I’ve been buying non-OEM for 15 years and generally have little to no problem.

Any ideas? Many thanks for any pointers and apologies for the mini-novel!!!

Peter

Last edited: Jan 19, 2022
  2. peterspiano

peterspiano New Member

I have since solved this problem. I'd delete this post if I knew how! Thanks for anyone who read it..

3. Color Printing Forum Admin

Color Printing Forum Admin Administrator

Glad you found a solution. Could you share the solution in case anyone else has the same problem?

4. peterspiano

peterspiano New Member

Sure: buy another brand of new cartridges. New=no problems with dried up ink (if that's a thing, I can't confirm that it is.). Different Brand = high likelihood that any compatibility issues are sidelined.

I can't yet confirm either suspected culprit to be the problem, but those were/are my solutions. I still have a bunch of unopened old cartridges that I hope will work once my printer is completely out of the woods (there are still some tiny holes in the print alignment print-out which I am still fixing).

It turns out that the cleaning solution wasn't the problem at all. Anywho, happy weekend all!