Epson watermark

Discussion in 'Inkjet Paper' started by Flash, Mar 16, 2007.

1. Flash

Flash Member

How do customers respond to the Epson watermark on the back of epson papers?

2. Jeff

Jeff Senior Member

In theory, tech-savy customers should like it because it means the ink and paper are matched to give them the intended lightfast permanency they desire.

In pracitce, I don't think Epson has the brand image, even yet, to make it a selling point. Even the common Kodak watermark has more selling appeal to me and my customers because it's associated with photography and photograhs more strongly (but then, Kodak spent how many more decades establishing their brand?)

One problem is that Epson is still associated with personal computer printing more than high end printing, even though they've dominated the quality pigment print market for a half decade now. But because they produce so many $100-$200 printes that people see everywhere, I think an epson mark makes people think "this is like a print I can run at home" unlike an Iris print that is high end, elite equipment. Moreover, some of the moer exotic, difficult to find fine art papers have more high-end appeal than paper branded with the "common" epson mark.

Then again, if someone looks at the watermark on the back rather than being sold on the print on the front, maybe it's time to take a step back! So I wouldn't worry about the watermark very much.