Dry printed sheets without UV dryer

Discussion in '4-Color Offset Presses +' started by rimaiq, Aug 26, 2011.

1. rimaiq

rimaiq Member

Is it possible to modify the fountain solution so as to let the ink drying be accelerated in such a way that a UV dryer would not be needed?

2. Meny

Meny Senior Member

Yes & NO
    UV inks will dry only with UV dryer or out in the sun.....
    regular inks dry in every print shop with out a UV dryer .
    IF your inks & damp solutions are right and you put the right amount of ink on your sheets
    And if you use the right Powder spray , no reason why your sheets will not be safe-dry at the delivery.

What exactly do you want to do ?

3. rimaiq

rimaiq Member

I was trying to test whether our TOKA (UV ink) would be able to safe-dry...

It turns out that we have to change the ink itself as well as the fountain solution for saf-dry to take place.

Would it always takes to have a water-based ink (not a UV one) for safe-dry to take place?

thanks for the reply.

4. Meny

Meny Senior Member

Dear Sir

if you are talking WATER BASE INK , i think you are totally misunderstanding the printing proccess on your press !!!!!

Conventional & UV inks are oil / rubber based and for offset - not WATER BASED !!

You simply do not understand your press & inks - call me if you want help as this page is way too short to strat teaching the print proccess...
    I am available at +44-7924232341

5. rimaiq

rimaiq Member

We are currently using a UV dryer with a UV ink applied on a sheet..

Just for the purpose of argument I am trying to see out of the box whether the conventional approach i.e., UV ink --> UV dryer would somehow be deflected to UV ink --> Safe dry. That's all -- and I knew well the established system, it just so happen that I presume there exists an unconventional one.

6. Meny

Meny Senior Member

Dear Friend
    This is like asking if non round wheels for a car would be any good......
    You asked about water based ink !!! this is a too biger mistake to be real for a printer , so or you have no idea of offset printing or you are playing a game....
    UV unk need a UV dryer to dry
    Conventional oil/rubber based inks do not need a uv dryer - they dry in the air - oxidation.
    If you have UV ibks and UV dryer , why would you try to work in another way - this is how your press is built.
    If your press is right for it (i do nor know the details of your pres) , you could use conventional inks rather then UV inks with the dryer.
    I hope for you you asked that question as a joke of after too meny drinks as it was a real bad one.....

Good luck

7. rimaiq

rimaiq Member

We never use water-based ink for our offset. A UV dryer was added just for the UV ink for our 4-color Roland 200 machine. We use oil/rubber-based ink initially for our machines (still have no UV dryer at that time with one-color KORD) until we shift to UV ink for its quick drying characteristics, i.e., of course coupled with a UV dryer.

Just weighing the pros and cons of having a UV dryer with fast drying times versus oil-based one with natural drying. Rapid polymerization by UV exposure is the main element for a UV ink.

8. Meny

Meny Senior Member

Your words:
    "I was trying to test whether our TOKA (UV ink) would be able to safe-dry...

It turns out that we have to change the ink itself as well as the fountain solution for saf-dry to take place.

Would it always takes to have a water-based ink (not a UV one) for safe-dry to take place?

thanks for the reply. "

So , or you have no clue or you are palying a game and having a good time.
    I am out of this string.....