Digital printer for postcards - need suggestions

Discussion in 'Other Digital Presses' started by Coloboque, May 21, 2014.

1. Coloboque

Coloboque Member

After trying so many options with office printers, I came to a conclusion that they're not capable of doing what I need. My last printer is Epson Stylus Pro 3880, and while it is an amazing printer, it can't do all I need. It does handle thick cardstock perfectly, a 16 pt sheet goes through in flying colors. But if the image is dark, forget it, unless it's a matte paper, which I don't want. Anyway, I'm looking for a simple digital press for a small home-based business of printing artistic postcards in small quantities for resale (5-10-20 each or so). The ideal printer will be:

- smallish in size (not taking a whole room)

- handles 16 pt coated cardstock; if worst comes to worst and there is no printer like this, a 14 pt is the minimum I can accept

- speed absolutely doesn't matter as I don't plan to print more than 100 sheets per day (13 x 19). No need for a workhorse.

- prints in color and B&W

- good quality images, sharp, not smearing after drying. I need to be able to print heavy dark images.

- inexpensive. I really have no idea how much a printer like this would cost, so suggestions are welcome. The business is small, so I'm not looking for a printer that costs a fortune. A used/refurbished printer would be fine as long as it can handle the cardstock thickness I need and the quality of image is good.

Would appreciate any suggestions. Thanks!

2. Swifty2

Swifty2 Senior Member

have a look at INTEC products

3. Coloboque

Coloboque Member

Hi Swifty,
    Thanks for the suggestion. I looked up the Intec printers and they sound great, very close to what I need. But I can't find the info on the printing cost anywhere. I was looking at CP2020 model, but any similar one would be good too, I guess.

Do you know what the approximate printing cost for a full sheet (A4, or letter size) with 100% coverage would be?