Digital Press in a country where maintenance and support is not available

Discussion in '1-Color and 2-Color Offset Presses' started by prmaceno, Aug 27, 2013.

1. prmaceno

prmaceno New Member

I am very new to digital printing and I am looking to buy some equipment in the US to print high volume of data for different organizations. The machines will be in operation in a country where there might not be a any trained technician to maintain the equipment. Could someone advise me on:
    1. The type of equipment that would not require someone from the US to travel oversea for regular maintenance.
    2. What would it take to train someone with a high school diploma to maintain such equipment?

Thank you

2. OkiTech

OkiTech Senior Member

There is no such machine that will need someone from US for regular maintenance... The copies and prints being produced all over the world and obviously there are techs to support them there, there is no way the copiers service industry is exclusive to US techs. If you asking if there is a machine that simply does not brake... well, don't we all just dream of something like that...
    As far a second question, don't you think that the answer rely on that particular individual? I am sure there are PHD's that can't put a nail in the wall, forget about fixing a printer. I have HS Diploma and 2.5 years of University (Management and Business Major) in 2006 started to work in small company as trainee tech than a tech for about 2 years, then got the job at large Toshiba / Sharp dealer, 3.5 years there, went on my own and been there ever since, opened printshop on the way... So what do you think it takes? There are schools, not like a college, just like 6 month schools or so but born to crawl will never fly.
    If you think that person has will, some Gods gift for tech and balls for this, find a school, send him there, may be not only he'd be able to maintain your printers but you can make extra money by sending him to service equipment around of you as there is a great advantage of not having a competition.
    To the best of my knowledge, there are no Online courses, there is no book that once you finish reading last page, that's it - you're a tech :)
    It is higly unlikely that any Authorized dealer will take a raw person to train and certify, in my shop it is always painful if we have to train helpers - it takes time, energy, patience. Here in NY we have lots of kids with Work and Travel Visa coming in at the end of the Spring looking for job but we can't take'em, not for 3-4 month - it would be a great waist.