Colour Management -- best practises for tints and screens?

Discussion in 'Xerox iGen3, iGen4, & iGen5 Digital Presses' started by David M. Baker, Feb 14, 2011.

1. David M. Baker

David M. Baker Member

US, Owings Mills, T. Rowe Price Associates
    Hello:

We are running iGen 3s and have a heckuva time getting the colours right when the original file is built with tints/screens of a Pantone. Although we recommend to our internal designers that they work with 100% Pantone values (i.e., find a 100% pantone value for the screen you like and use that Pantone), such recommendations have failed to yeild wide adapdation.

So, I'm asking the iGen operators and experts out there: What's your best practise recommendation for matching tints/screens of Pantones? We are running in a GRACoL-7 space.

Any input is welcome, and I thank you in advance for your insights.

Cheers,
    DB

2. 2ampress

2ampress Senior Member

Using Pantone spot colors in printed jobs can give mixed results. Ultimately, I convert everything to CMYK and use TRC's to control color is the areas that need corrected. Spot colors do not adjust when using TRC's, so converting to CMYK does the trick.

3. David M. Baker

David M. Baker Member

Thanks for your feedback, 2ampress! I should have noted: we run all PDFs through a hot folder that converts Spot-->CMYK. But doing this still gives us mixed results with tints and screens.

4. ddigen3

ddigen3 Senior Member

We've been fighting that battle too. Here's what we've resolved to do:

1. Bounce the file back to the designer/client and remind them of our requirements for PANTONE screens.

-or-

2. Convert the tints to CMYK

-or-

3. Turn Spot Color Matching OFF & run the whole job in CMYK

-or-

4. Put on a blindfold, click print, and play dumb.*

* Success rate is minimal with this tactic. There is a 9 out of 10 chance you will experience light-headedness, bleeding of the ears, and extended time off from work in the form of termination. If symptoms continue, stick with options 1-3, or call your mommy.

5. 2ampress

2ampress Senior Member

lol...that is what our current operator does...he doesn't know how to do color correction or at least chooses not to.

6. igen jim

igen jim Member

We follow ddigen3 #1-3 practice. I quit doing #4 sometime ago.
    When it comes to color correcting that would be the deference in having an operator or a pressman.
    Over and out
    Jim :cool:

7. David M. Baker

David M. Baker Member

Thanks, all, for your input. This is a most valuable forum!