1992 Heidelberg Speedmaster 102 saving job question

Discussion in 'Heidelberg Printing Presses' started by rotorhead93, Aug 19, 2011.

1. rotorhead93

rotorhead93 New Member

i just purchased a 92 speedmaster sm 102.it has cptronics not sure what version it is (1.02 or 1.03)Right now it does not have the cassete for saving jobs it has a mini card system but they told me it was not working.are there any options of saving jobs to a standalone computer.i had this set up on an older mitsubishi and it worked great.any other options for saving jobs would be great.thanks for the help.

2. turbotom1052

turbotom1052 Senior Member

when Heidelberg first came out with cpc way back in the early 80s i believe, the only way to save jobs was to overlay a strip of clear acetate on top of the ink fountain zone diodes. With a marking pen you would copy to the clear acetate the exact position of each diode and then mark down the ink sweep setting. This would have to be done for each color!!!!. When it came time to rerun a job you could just copy the profiles from the acetate overlay into the press console in real time. It was pretty primitive but functional. My feeling is that unless the press rollers are kept in tip top condition and that your ink fountains are all calibrated correctly youd be better off just shooting from the hip, and with a little time spent on the press you will be able to get just about as close as the overlays by just winging it.

3. Paul Cavanaugh

Paul Cavanaugh Senior Member

Wow Tom... I forgot about those overlays, they were just ahead of my time with Heidelberg. I came onboard with the tape drives.

Typically, on the card readers the cards themselves are what went bad the reader/writer worked fine. The cards just did not hold up well to the pressroom environment and being constantly rewritten over. I worked in the parts department at the time and I can tell you we sold alot of the cards. At the time recording to the cards was the best option available. (Jump Drives would have been nice back then, but then again so would have Inpress and Image control)

I imagine with some degree of creativity you may be able to come up with a solution to use the ribbon cable that attaches to the card reader / writer and hook it up to a hard drive. The ribbon cable which the card connects to is 64 pins. The trick is knowing what the format of the card is and if the reader can be tricked into using a hard drive as a card.

But by the time you figured all of that out you could have used the acetate overlay...

4. turbotom1052

turbotom1052 Senior Member

now youve got me feeling like a dinosaur paul!!!

5. Meny

Meny Senior Member

Good day Rotorhead
    I have a solution to your problem :)
    It's a PC connected to the Mini card reader cable (instead of it) that has the capabillity to save jobs but also send yoir CIP fuls to the pres , so you can revive some modern life in to your old press.
    I have done it in more then one press and it works very well - will suit your 92 HD with no problem.
    No it is not cheap , yet cheaper then the HD solution - the one thast goes wrong all the time till you stop using it....
    Give me a call - will be happy to pass the details to you
    Meny +447924232341

6. rotorhead93

rotorhead93 New Member

thanks for the info guys.i do remember those acetate strips.finished the press up and ran 1st job with it.i have not had tiime to look at the card reader in detail yet.does anyone know where i could get a card for the reader? thanks and i will be calling you meny once i get settled down here

7. Meny

Meny Senior Member

The card system was a flop from the start , not only on HD presses but on all - it is not a system suitable for the dusty printshop area.
    If you buy a card , you will buy another very quick - it is dumping your money for old technology.
    I can help you obtain a good solution for years , that will give you way more then the card ans last for you to enjoy your investment...and it is not as expensive as the HD solutions (yet works better)
    Good luck