Ricoh 651 / 751 experience

Discussion in 'Ricoh Color Laser Printers & Color Copiers' started by vividred, Sep 13, 2011.

1. M & M Print LAX

M & M Print LAX Member

When we blew it up so it would be easier to see, the screen drops out because it's only a 20% screen and it's lite blue. We are working on trying to get a sample so I can post if possible.

2. Candotech

Candotech Member

I have 15 plus years working on Canon and Ricoh. Let me shed some light on your color issues with Ricoh. In my years of working for the former IKON Company I saw them at there peak until recently being aquired by Ricoh. The one reason they initial started selling Canon was for Canons exceptional and consistent color quality and reliability and it grew into selling Canons full line of imagerunner gear. Every color machine Ricoh has come out with has been a failure in the long run. I am completely aware of ricohs color issues and am very disapointed. I thought they would have stepped up and produced a good solid machine to replace the Canon and Konica equipment. The initial impression was a good one but over time there color has once again proved to be a failure. If I were a printer and looking to purchase a solid digital press I would go on reputation versus price. In my opinion Canon has always had a good reputation for color quality and reliability. The Ricoh may appear to have outstanding quality, and it does I wont deny that, but if you want a manufacturer with a good reputation in the industry and solid equipment, then I would choose Canon over Ricoh everytime. Canon may be more expensive but when it comes to gaining or loosing on your bottom line, I dont think you can put a price on that. Just an opinion of a tech that until recently worked at Ricoh on Ricoh and Canon.

3. laser007

laser007 Member

Took delivery of Ricoh Pro651 in October 2012. Replaced a Xerox Doc 240. Xerox machine is an antique compared to what I have now. The 651 images real nice, stock delivery is flat with no curl, no oily shiny finish-more like offset, more than double the speed, high capacity trays, duplexes 14 pt. cardstock in
    perfect registration, places image squarely on the stock-no skew. One issue with meter not working correctly when using "Gang-Up" feature. Ricoh worked
    diligently on the problem and fixed it. My experience with Ricoh and this machine has been all positive so far.

4. Bctnyli

Bctnyli Member

What 14pt cover stock are you using? How has your experience been with the
    service?
    And can you tell me more about the meter not working right?

Tkx,

Todd Peters

60 Rose Place
    Garden City Park, NY 11040
    P 516.747.3131
    C 516.242.0370
    E todd@bctnyli.com
    www.bctnyli.com

5. laser007

laser007 Member

Hello Todd: When using "Gang-up" feature with mixed colour & B&W pages, the meter should toggle back & forth as it prints the book block. The colour
    meter was clicking for all pages instead of just colour pages. Ricoh re-installed Fiery software and the problem was resolved. The service tech assigned by the
    local Ricoh dealer to take care of my machine is excellent. I've had a colour copier since 1989 (Canon 1) and many techs have been working here. The
    Ricoh tech is the best I've had yet - really knows his stuff. I was never comfortable dealing with Xerox Corporate, my advice would be to stay away from them. The Ricoh 651 is fine for our purposes. If imaging has to be 100% exact, from what I'm reading here, then maybe there are concerns. We deal with local small business who would probably not notice some of the issues people are complaining about. All colour copiers have issues. The 14-pt stock we run
    is Carolina and/or High Point.

6. Bctnyli

Bctnyli Member

Where are you located and who do you buy your paper from?

7. laser007

laser007 Member

What kind of problems are you having with your machine?

8. Bctnyli

Bctnyli Member

Very dissatisfied with the service, if there is a problem they don't know how to fix, they blame it on the Media 14pt. C2s cover stock (not in Ricoh's specs) the response time when the press is out of service is not with-in the 4 or 5 hours in there contract!

9. laser007

laser007 Member

No, my 651 will duplex 14-pt coated stock with ease, regardless of brand. I assume your using Tray 4, paper weight 7, glossy stock, duplexing ON, in your settings.? If the machine registers a paper jam while printing then it's most likely a sensor problem not a mechanical problem. Is the paper feeding properly,
    jamming or imaging problems? Clarify what is happening and I will ask my tech.

10. Bctnyli

Bctnyli Member

We're getting a lot of paper jamming when running 14pt C2s stock. Our tech blames it on the media we are using. The answer we get it is not Ricoh approved media. Any help would be appreciated!!
    If you can please call me at 516.242.0370

11. laser007

laser007 Member

Make sure you are running 18 x 12 short grain. Not 12 x 18 long grain.

12. Bctnyli

Bctnyli Member

yes we are!

13. laser007

laser007 Member

Okay, I will ask my tech & get back to you ASAP.

14. M & M Print LAX

M & M Print LAX Member

Remember if Ricoh can't fix it, they will blame the media, and if it's an imaging issue they will say it's within spec and it's your problem. We still have our halo problem and it's our problem not theirs. My problem is we print for graphic designers and they will not accept the quality from the Ricoh so we have to run on our Xerox.

15. laser007

laser007 Member

I have not seen this problem yet with my 651 or any other imaging problems. Machine is only 4 months old though.
    Too early to assume this a great machine.

16. laser007

laser007 Member

Hello Bctnyli: Post your fax Number.

17. Bctnyli

Bctnyli Member

18. laser007

laser007 Member

How's your duplexing now?

19. Bctnyli

Bctnyli Member

We have the same setting as you do. We have duplexed the the past, but we are not able to right now our tech is bailing it on the 14pt stock
    (IT IS NOT RICOH APPROVED MEDIA)

20. laser007

laser007 Member

Does the 14 pt. stock duplex with the settings I gave you or does it jam?