Dampener washout

Discussion in 'Heidelberg Printing Presses' started by Hotsteel63, Mar 23, 2024.

1. Hotsteel63

Hotsteel63 Member

Operating a Heidelberg SM 74 5c. I'm getting a flood of dampener on units 3 and 4. Mostly 4. Magenta is usually in u4. I can start up normal. Then outta nowhere tha solution in those units gets flooded . I tried some little tricks that werk. But I shouldnt have to do that. Drop my water rollers a tad bit late. We just got tha press so it has all new rubber in all units. Desperate here. Thanks

2. Raf77

Raf77 Senior Member

Have you checked your rollers settings?
    If you start normal, when it starts to wash out?

3. Hotsteel63

Hotsteel63 Member

I have checked them . Made some adjustments. Is this problem common on these presses? Tha 74s

4. Raf77

Raf77 Senior Member

No, is not.
    I assume that when you start the job everything is fine and when is start to washing out? After speeding up? After some amount of sheets printed?
    Is your vario on or off? Bridge roller engaged or not?
    If you're sure that your rollers settings are ok check water compensation curve.

5. Hotsteel63

Hotsteel63 Member

Here's what happens.
    When we start tha pull. If we drop our water rollers before tha first sheet is fed. We get flooded. When we wait until tha first sheet gets to tha infeed grippers we have no flooding at all. This is exactly how things go. So if we use unit 5 only. We wait until tha first sheet gets to tha fourth before we drop tha water rollers.

6. Hotsteel63

Hotsteel63 Member

And thank you for all your input.

7. Hotsteel63

Hotsteel63 Member

We have never used tha vario feature. Tha press is a perfector. 3 over 2. With chillers. And air bars on all units.

8. Raf77

Raf77 Senior Member

Seems like pre damp settings are wrong. Just check them first

turbotom1052 and Hotsteel63 like this.
  9. Adil

Adil Senior Member

Please take a short video to see what happends

Hotsteel63 likes this.
  10. turbotom1052

turbotom1052 Senior Member

Pre dampening settings as mentioned by Raf. When the dampeners first get dropped you should notice that the damp motors run at a higher speed for a short period of time before slowing down to their production settings. Look for this when starting up the press and maybe even put a stopwatch to each unit to see just how long they stay on the pre damp setting. Almost sounds like your problem units are not switching over from their pre damp setting to their production setting which would be the setting that shows u on your midi display.

11. Hotsteel63

Hotsteel63 Member

You're right. We made adjustments and got most of tha water out. We're making more adjustments after tha Easter weekend. Appreciate your input bro. Thanks and happy easter

12. Raf77

Raf77 Senior Member

Just reset it to Heidelberg settings and see what happens, then you can adjust it in either way.

turbotom1052 likes this.