YUPO problems

Discussion in 'Offset Papers & Stocks' started by archetype, Aug 1, 2008.

Tags:
  1. archetype

archetype Member

Hello. My shop prints a fair amount of GPO work. The occasional job is on YUPO and is usually a short run of 200 sheets or so. Recently sales took on a job for 8000 spiral bound books. The job translated into 9 press forms, all of them 4/4 with heavy coverage on 25X38. It offset, bad. The pressroom foreman got ahold of some INX hard dry ink. TOTAL fountain concentrate with 10% alcohol was used. I feel that this is the wrong chemistry to use. Our experience with YUPO is very limited and we pretty much scraped by with it before. I printed on PVC and Mylar stocks at my previous employer but have never seen anything like this before. If anybody is running YUPO with any success I would love to find out what works and what doesn't. Thank you so much in advance.

2. 5150pressman

5150pressman Senior Member

I have run Yupo before. It does print nice. It does take time for it to set and dry. The hard dry ink will work.
    If you can put an AQ on it that would be the best.
    Run small lifts and turn up the spray powder.
    You might have to turn the water down a little since the Yupo will not absorb the water.

3. turbotom1052

turbotom1052 Senior Member

yupo stock

my personal feelings on running yupo and other synthetic type stocks are that they should be run on a UV press. a shop that does that once or twice a year yupo job will without a doubt go through some teething problems till they get it down pat. that being said here is what ive learned....
    1 oxidizing inks are a MUST!!!
    2 regular fountain solution is fine
    3 a nice thick film of aqeous coating formulated for non absorbent stock
    helps tremendously
    4 powder size of at least 35 microns, preferably 45
    5 small lifts
    6 management must allow for considerable spoilage
    7 need a quick mr so you can get up and running fast
    8 do NOT use nonstop delivery stop the press to put in racks

hope this helps,
    tom
    ps it should also be noted that there is a test available for these substrates that tells of the stocks printability. they somehow measure the sheets receptiveness to ink and assign it a number as to how well it will take ink and dry. ask your ink supplier about this test. if i remeber correctly its called a dyne test.